I/O Engine Coupler Problem

Herdfan1221

Cadet
I have a 1982 Mark Twain V-Sonic 16/9 with an inline 4 cyclinder 120hp mercruiser engine with a MC-1 outdrive. Bought the boat thinking all it needed was a gimbal bearing. Replaced bearing today started the engine up, put it in drive & a burnt rubber smell & white smoke came from the engine compartment. Propeller does not turn while engine is running. While engine is off you can turn prop one way in forward & the reverse way when shifted to reverse. I am thinking it is the engine coupler. I checked alignment after installing the bearing but maybe something was off. Anyone have any advice or tips? Am trying to get the boat out for a riverfront concert on the 3rd.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: I/O Engine Coupler Problem

Time to pull the engine and replace the smoked coupler...

Herdfan1221

Cadet

That is what I was thinking. Engine is easy to get to & shouldn't be hard to pull out. Is the coupler something a local boat service shop would carry in stock or should I order one and have it overnighted.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

A good marina should either have one, or can point you in the right direction...I know there's a boat "breaker" near me. The guy has lots of good used parts, just have to pick through the junk.

There's always the good ole WWW and parts warehouses to scour...some bargains to be had if you look hard enough.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Herdfan, how did u check alignment? Did u have to adjust it? The alignment had to off a decent amount to burn a good coupler that quick unless it was already burnt (and u had to adjust alignment from where it was)

Bondo

Staff member

Herdfan, how did u check alignment? Did u have to adjust it? The alignment had to off a decent amount to burn a good coupler that quick unless it was already burnt (and u had to adjust alignment from where it was)

Ayuh,.... I think that's the Key,...

Herdfan1221

Cadet

After I replaced the gimbal bearing I used my alignment tool to get it all ligned up. I would move the coupler around by hand to get it all ligned up. Looking back that was probably a sign that it was bad. I assume that is something you shouldn't be able to move around by hand.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

If the coupler moves something is wrong. How did u find that the coupler moved ?

Herdfan1221

Cadet

The coupler is toast. I can stick my hand down behind the engine and move it around pull it in and out. I also drained my outdrive oil today and noticed some small metal shavings. Glitter sized. Is that normal? The oil was dark some of it was a light grey but for the most part it was good and dark. Should I be concerned about the small glitter sized metal shavings? I would like to get a year or 2 of use out the outdrive before I completely replace it.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

the coupler is a metal housing that has rubber connecting the outer housing to a metal tube that fits the splines on the outdrive. that housing is bolted to the crankshaft or the flywheel. the housing should not move, even if the rubber core got "spun" by misalignment or the outdrive locking up from a gear breaking or something.

you'll know what is wrong when you pull the engine. I would start another thread asking about the metal shavings....obviously they don't belong there, but someone else can take you through the process of finding what is wrong.

if this was me and I just bought this boat, I would be talking to the guy I bought it from.