Mercruiser alpha one stern drive gear ratio loading issue

heavy_breeze

Cadet
What a week! Getting my fishing boat started and my liveaboard 42foot Owens sinks.

My gear: alpha one stern drive gear at about 1.5:1 had a inline six gm250 160hp that I replaced with a gm 181 140hp. Changed the prop pitch from a 14x19 to a 16x11. Had loading issues. This is a heavy 24' fiberglass boat. Engine was pinging under load with the 14x19 changed the prop and the mechanical advance springs in the distributor. It doesn't ping anymore but won't go over 2200 rpm and 8 kts at best wot. This is a brand new motor that I put the old rebuilt Rochester 2 bbl from the six cylinder on. Seems like a combination of sterndrive load and fuel issue. I'm not wanting this boat to be that fastest just efficient and workable. Any suggestions about prop/gear/hp configuration? Is this simply not enough engine for a 1.5:1 Outdrive?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser alpha one stern drive gear ratio loading issue

What a week! Getting my fishing boat started and my liveaboard 42foot Owens sinks.

My gear: alpha one stern drive gear at about 1.5:1 had a inline six gm250 160hp that I replaced with a gm 181 140hp. Changed the prop pitch from a 14x19 to a 16x11. Had loading issues. This is a heavy 24' fiberglass boat. Engine was pinging under load with the 14x19 changed the prop and the mechanical advance springs in the distributor. It doesn't ping anymore but won't go over 2200 rpm and 8 kts at best wot. This is a brand new motor that I put the old rebuilt Rochester 2 bbl from the six cylinder on. Seems like a combination of sterndrive load and fuel issue. I'm not wanting this boat to be that fastest just efficient and workable. Any suggestions about prop/gear/hp configuration? Is this simply not enough engine for a 1.5:1 Outdrive?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... V8s use the 1.50:1 ratio,....

Yer 165 has either the 1.84:1 or the 1.65:1,....

The I4 GM motors run a 1.98:1 ratio,...

You need to swap the drive gears to the 1.98:1, or it'll Never be able to run right,...
Ya can't buy a prop small enough otherwise,...

That drive was wrong for the last motor you had as well:

stern drive ratio.jpg

heavy_breeze

Cadet

Thanks y'all gonna swap out drives tomorrow. Much appreciated!