350 magnum wont start

I just bought a 1993 crownline 225ccr it has the 350 magnum motor (carb) the previous owner last used the boat 4 years ago it has 240hours on it. he stopped using the boat due to some floor rot that he never fixed he wasnt thinking about selling the boat i just knocked on his door and asked he went for it. he claims the boat was winterized and ran. it has a full tank of 4 yr old gas in it which somehow actually smells good still (but im not using it)
so heres a run down of what i have tried so far i disconnected the fuel pickup line to the tank and put it in a 5 gallon plastic can with new gas in it. i checked the oil it looks new. i tried to crank the motor and it cranks fine i "pump" the throttle and i see it spurt gas in but it wont even try to start and all the plugs are bone dry. i tried looking it up for 2 hours now with no results other then it might be a clogged exhaust preventing vacuum? but he never posted results so im still a bit stuck. i did not do a compression check yet i could but it still doesnt answer why my plugs would all be dry

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 350 magnum wont start

throw a bit more fresh fuel straight down the throat of the carb.it may just need a little more to help it on its way the first time as may be fuel left over from the previous years.We assume a new fuel filter has been added and maybe a look at the inside of the cap to make sure no oxidising is in there or dampness.

Bondo

Staff member

throw a bit more fresh fuel straight down the throat of the carb.it may just need a little more to help it on its way the first time as may be fuel left over from the previous years.We assume a new fuel filter has been added and maybe a look at the inside of the cap to make sure no oxidising is in there or dampness.

Ayuh,.... If it don't start on an ounce of gas, it ain't sparkin',...

well i just wrote a reply but it didnt post, i bought a spark plug tester and got nothing. i cleaned the points in the rotor which apparently i found out is a no no since i sanded it all down. the wire that connects the coil to the rotor was all gunked up on the coil side so i sanded that all down as well. i put the coil tested between the coil and rotor and the light didnt go on again. so i will try and see why i have no spark now found a few tips on here for no spark. but plugs are still dry ?!?!?

im kind of at a lose here. i found this diagram
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154168&stc=1&d=1340497431
decided to start from the very beginning i disconnected the batteries cleaned the big terminals on the starter solenoid, went to losen the 1 small terminal and it seems to have broken the stud but the wire is still on the starter solenoid (sorry forgot what it is technically called). mine has 3 terminals. 2 big up/down then 1 small to the side in between the big so the 3 studs looks like a triangle. motor still cranks so im assuming its technically good?

now following the diagram the step says "with key in RUN position, check for 12 volts at positive terminal of ignition coil" thats the regular coil with the high test lead that goes to the distributor??? thats what i thought it meant so i took an old navigation light and with 1 end touched it to the +coil and other side to ground it light up so i did that step right???

this is where i got really confused and cant find any answers ive been working on the boat and researching for 8 hours today so i give up the diagram says "check for 1-12 volts at wht/red terminal on distributor" does this mean open the distributor up? it doesnt mean disconnect the bullet connector since the next step says that? i cant figure it out at all so the next step in the diagram "remove the high-tension lead from distributor to coil, insert a spark plug tester from coil to ground remove wht/grn lead from distributor terminal. ignition key in RUN strike the terminal wht/grn lead to ground" i guess i did this step wrong i disconnected the bullet connectors for the wht/grn and did what it said trying with both ends of the wht/grn and got no light on my spark plug tester.

SIDE note on the top of my motor next to the wht/grn and wht/red bullet connectors i have a purple wire with a plug on it and a black wire with a circle clip on it but there not attached to anything? what is this for?mystery wire.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

im kind of at a lose here. i found this diagram
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154168&stc=1&d=1340497431
decided to start from the very beginning i disconnected the batteries cleaned the big terminals on the starter solenoid, went to losen the 1 small terminal and it seems to have broken the stud but the wire is still on the starter solenoid (sorry forgot what it is technically called). mine has 3 terminals. 2 big up/down then 1 small to the side in between the big so the 3 studs looks like a triangle. motor still cranks so im assuming its technically good?

Ayuh,... That's an Automotive starter, a Marine starter will have 2 big, 'n 2 small terminals on it's solenoid,....

now following the diagram the step says "with key in RUN position, check for 12 volts at positive terminal of ignition coil" thats the regular coil with the high test lead that goes to the distributor??? thats what i thought it meant so i took an old navigation light and with 1 end touched it to the +coil and other side to ground it light up so i did that step right???

this is where i got really confused and cant find any answers ive been working on the boat and researching for 8 hours today so i give up the diagram says "check for 1-12 volts at wht/red terminal on distributor" does this mean open the distributor up? it doesnt mean disconnect the bullet connector since the next step says that? i cant figure it out at all so the next step in the diagram "remove the high-tension lead from distributor to coil, insert a spark plug tester from coil to ground remove wht/grn lead from distributor terminal. ignition key in RUN strike the terminal wht/grn lead to ground" i guess i did this step wrong i disconnected the bullet connectors for the wht/grn and did what it said trying with both ends of the wht/grn and got no light on my spark plug tester.

Ya lost me in here,...

SIDE note on the top of my motor next to the wht/grn and wht/red bullet connectors i have a purple wire with a plug on it and a black wire with a circle clip on it but there not attached to anything? what is this for?View attachment 201262

My guess is, those are for an electric choke,...

The one where you said I lost you. I'm not sure what the diagram means by distributor terminals. Do I take the cap off?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

do you have a thunderbolt iv ignition system?if so check for 12 v on red/white wire for 12v from module.a multimeter is a must though.
if you have a sensor in the cap its usually this which fails and they're relativly cheap on fleabay as this acts like a set of points but requires voltage to it via the above mentioned wire and the module requires this pulse so we require you to test for the voltage.

i disconnected the red/wht bullet connector with the key in "run" i had 0 volts on either part of the bullet connector. i did have 12.3 volts on the coil.
my gf's cousin had a good coil so i tried that to eliminate it as a possability.

btdoctur that is the diagram i have been working off of

Is there a way to bypass the ignition sensor for testing purposes?
also this is where im having the problem with the diagram the step that says
"check for 1-12 volts wht/red TERMINAL on distributor" where is this terminal???????????? the next step if 0 volts says "unplug wht/red bullet connector from dist. term. then check for voltage" now im reading 0 volts in the run position which says i need an "ignition module harness"
now doesnt the ignition module and harness come as 1 piece?

im thinking i need an ignition module but im going to replace all my wiring ends for the batteries and try to clean the motor grounds. i was cranking the motor it seemed a bit weak batteries both read in the 12.5 range so i used my car battery that i know was fully charged and it barely cranked at all.
im taking of work today any help would be greatly appreciated. if im not getting good flow due to corroded wire ends could that read 0 volts on the red/wht bullet connectors? before i go buy a new ignition module