Gimbal houseing disasembly

tallguy64

Cadet
Hey all, breaking down my old mc-1 gimbals.... and let me let you it has been a nightmare so far... had to shear both of the pivot pins little nails and the lower swivel pin's cotter pin. Just if anyone is wondering yes you can shear them quite easy with heat heat and a small hammer and punch, only reason i say small hammer i was afraid of breaking the gimbal ring. so now i am to the upper pin. from what the maual say i need to remove the hex socket bolt first then pull the upper pin. so i have not been able to get the socket bolt out, so first question anyone know how far it is actualy threadedi can see theaded on one side. i have it soaking in pb blaster and i used heat heat and more heat and different bolt lossener fluids none have worked so far, Advice? As soon as i get that out anyone know what size threads are in the upper pivot i and probably going to have to chase them or step it up a size. Also what is the little screw at the very top of the houseing for?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Gimbal houseing disasembly

Your saying a socket bolt and I'll assume it is the hinge pins, if this is incorrect please advise. The hing pins run in the width of the bell housing. They are locktited in and require a lot of torque to break loose. What year and serial number are we discussing?

tallguy64

Cadet

Serial number is not to be found on this unit, this is a mc-1. the pins you are talking about are on the side... on the mc-1 they are held in place by stainless steel or aluminum nails. I am talking about the upper pivot pin, the pin that alows turning the drive units left and right, i thought pivot was the proper term for that. This pin is held in place by a hex-socket bolt from the front that run from left to right... my concern is im going to break it, if so i am wonder how far the threads run, are they only one the left hand side or do they run the whole legnth of the bolt hole. my thought is to drill it out from the back side and helicoil or step up the bolt size. Then to pull the pin it self what is the thread size in the base to use a tap to clean the threads to use a slide hammer to pull.

Bondo

Staff member

Serial number is not to be found on this unit, this is a mc-1. the pins you are talking about are on the side... on the mc-1 they are held in place by stainless steel or aluminum nails. I am talking about the upper pivot pin, the pin that alows turning the drive units left and right, i thought pivot was the proper term for that. This pin is held in place by a hex-socket bolt from the front that run from left to right... my concern is im going to break it, if so i am wonder how far the threads run, are they only one the left hand side or do they run the whole legnth of the bolt hole. my thought is to drill it out from the back side and helicoil or step up the bolt size. Then to pull the pin it self what is the thread size in the base to use a tap to clean the threads to use a slide hammer to pull.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Is this on the boat, or on the bench,..??

Is the motor out,..?? What motor,..??

Where are ya from,..?? I believe the pin is retained by a Big Nut,...
It unscrews off, allowin' removal,...

tallguy64

Cadet

MC-1
Gimbal on bench
merc 165 (aka gm 250 inline 6 4.1L)
Eninge is on stand

Im from tacoma wa will update profile.

I will have to double check for the nut i havent started to try and pull the main pin yet, but i know pre manual it say i need to pul the hex-socket bolt first im just afraid if i break it off im going to make a big head ache for myself.

Bondo

Staff member

MC-1
Gimbal on bench
merc 165 (aka gm 250 inline 6 4.1L)
Eninge is on stand

Im from tacoma wa will update profile.

I will have to double check for the nut i havent started to try and pull the main pin yet, but i know pre manual it say i need to pul the hex-socket bolt first im just afraid if i break it off im going to make a big head ache for myself.

Ayuh,.... You've Already got That,..... Wrestlin' that on a bench, is a Bear,...

I believe yer talkin' 'bout the bolt that retains the tiller arm,....

Is this thing Corroded,..?? Been run in the Brine,..??

It might make more sense to find a used sweetwater run Alpha transom housin', 'n junk yer's,....

tallguy64

Cadet

Nope not the tiller arm bolt. let me try and be a bit more descriptive.

Im standing outside my boat looking at the face of the gimbal houseing. on the right side of the housing is a hole in that holethere is a bolt that runs from right to left, on the left side the hole exits and there is the end of the bolt and threads. lets put it this way where everyone else has a ubolt i have a cross pin. does that make sense?

Yes it was ran in salt water and never saw a good rebuild with anit-seize, all in all there is very very little wear on this unit at all. so far minus sized cotter pins and this bolt it looks excelent. I do have a spare but this one is in such good shape i would like to use this one at this point the only thing that is holding me back is this stupid hex-socket bolt.