Power trim not working

ket1011

Recruit
I just bought a 1982 Adventure boat. It is an inboard Mercruiser 3.0L. The motor was not winterized and cracked the block. I got a different motor put everything back together and motor runs great. Power trim does not work. No noises and no movement. I believe we have everything hooked up correctly because we didn't have to mess with the power trim to change engine. What else can I look for? Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim not working

Are the PTT solenoids getting power to the secondary winding? Can you jumper them to see if the motor works? Some PTT pumps have a fuse or circuit breaker (or both). You might check them.

HarryHarley

Cadet

Based on your statement.. "because we didn't have to mess with the power trim to change engine".. did it work before you replaced the engine? I'd go along with Chris1956 advice. Could be as simple as the switch on the throttle too.

RRitt

Captain

in the world of power trim there is a maghic answer that fits all sizes and all brands. It is so basic that It even applies to engines not invented yet.

hot wire the trim motor directly to a battery.
If nothing happens then the motor is bad.
If the motor clunks but does not spin then the pump gears might be seized from water.
If the motor spins but the system does not lift then you MRV is open or you need hydraulic rebuild.
If everything works perfecxt when hot wired but not on boat then you have problems in switch, relays, connections, or wiring.