Throttle Cable

smyers42

Recruit
My wife took our boat to the shop a month ago to have the lower shift cable replaced. After getting it back it won't go over about 10mph if that. Before taking it to the boat shop it ran great other than it stalling on the occasion due to the bad shift cable. They also replaced the gimble bearing while they had it. My question is could they have not adjusted or hooked something up incorrect for it to be doing this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with them not hooking up the lower shift cable correctly or maybe they threw off the throttle cable adjustment. Its a 1996 5.7 Mercruiser I/O Bravo 2.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle Cable

My wife took our boat to the shop a month ago to have the lower shift cable replaced. After getting it back it won't go over about 10mph if that. Before taking it to the boat shop it ran great other than it stalling on the occasion due to the bad shift cable. They also replaced the gimble bearing while they had it. My question is could they have not adjusted or hooked something up incorrect for it to be doing this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with them not hooking up the lower shift cable correctly or maybe they threw off the throttle cable adjustment. Its a 1996 5.7 Mercruiser I/O Bravo 2.

Ayuh,.... What are ya doin' to get to 10 mph,..?? We need more symptoms,...

Is the throttle cable movin' the carb/ efi linkages,..??

smyers42

Recruit

The boat idols great and engages fine when going from N to Drive. The problem is when you go full throttle it stands the boat up in the front at about 3-3500 rpm but never planes it out and will only move at about 10 mph. I'm not sure if its moving the Carb cable or not. All I know is before I took it to this shop it took off like a champ and since they have gone in and changed the gimble bearing and lower shift cable this is what I'm getting. I don't even want to go back to this boat shop cause the last time I took it to them the same thing happened they fixed one problem to make another.

Bondo

Staff member

The boat idols great and engages fine when going from N to Drive. The problem is when you go full throttle it stands the boat up in the front at about 3-3500 rpm but never planes it out and will only move at about 10 mph. I'm not sure if its moving the Carb cable or not. All I know is before I took it to this shop it took off like a champ and since they have gone in and changed the gimble bearing and lower shift cable this is what I'm getting. I don't even want to go back to this boat shop cause the last time I took it to them the same thing happened they fixed one problem to make another.

Ayuh,.... Are ya trimmin' the drive in/ down,..??

If you can't/ don't answer the questions, there ain't much We can do to Help ya,...

I/ We don't care 'bout yer Mechanic, We're just tryin' to help ya fix yer problem,...

After all,... This is a DIY'er site,...

smyers42

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Are ya trimmin' the drive in/ down,..??

If you can't/ don't answer the questions, there ain't much We can do to Help ya,...

I/ We don't care 'bout yer Mechanic, We're just tryin' to help ya fix yer problem,...

After all,... This is a DIY'er site,...
I do understand this is a DIY'er website. I got deployed to Afghanistan last min notice and I'm trying to help my wife out here so we can DIY it. She said when she put it in the water the idol RPM was at around 1500-2000 and when she went full throttle it only went up to 3000 rpm and wouldn't plane out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

sounds like the drive is not fully down causing the bow to ride high.

smyers42

Recruit

sounds like the drive is not fully down causing the bow to ride high.

I was told that they got into the water and felt down to make sure the drive was all the way down and in fact it was. The latest is that the rpms were at 1500-2000 at idol and then when they gave it gas it wouldn't go above 3000 at all. BTW thanks for you help right now

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

trrr_zps7b81973e.jpg
installed wrong?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before taking it to the boat shop it ran great other than it stalling on the occasion due to the bad shift cable.

How did the shift cable cause the engine to stall? I could understand it with an Alpha drive and the shift interrupt system, but the Bravo doesn't have that.

As far as your problem, when the bow is up in the air, have her trim the drive down and see if it planes. Just forget about what the trim gauge is saying it may be adjusted wrong.