New Motor 5.7 first major issue......

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im on the virtue of finish installing the new motor on an 87 Chris Craft Seahawk , replacing the old 260/5.7 with a new engine from indmar, so far everything has fit in place from the old engine, until i installed the T-Stat Housing and run the hoses , one of the hoses run on top of the belt , and there's no way to take a different path (no room) so now im stuck , I dont know what to do , so here I am asking for suggestion .IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Motor 5.7 first major issue......

Get rid of the entire housing and replace it with a raw / closed cooling system.

Solve the initial problem, improve the engine longevity ...

Who's with me here?

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iam with you ! tell me how do I do that? link? parts ?

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Start here:

This is what I have on my 5.7 merc:
http://goo.gl/WNYub

Alpha part number: 860256A 3
Bravo part number: 860256A 4

1595.jpg

AP5040.jpg

Speakrdude

Ensign

I have a couple of the above parts used in good shape that I have removed from engines when I converted them over to fresh water cooled.
I would make you a deal if you need one. PM me.

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should mention that converting to coolant / freshwater cooled won't solve your problem. You will need to change the thermostat housing to one of these:

What I'm saying is that if you go to that length, may as well make a big improvement to your cooling system by going to raw / closed cooling.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I should mention that converting to coolant / freshwater cooled won't solve your problem. You will need to change the thermostat housing to one of these:

What I'm saying is that if you go to that length, may as well make a big improvement to your cooling system by going to raw / closed cooling.

I agree. Go with at least a 1/2 system like the Seakamp 4802. Go for a full system if used in salt. This is your only chance to install it.

TheHunter990

Seaman Apprentice

If it were me, I'd be really tempted to get a half (or even full) closed coolant system. Helps keep the value of your boat up and will protect your new engine from rusting out.