Generation I Later Model?

alumanut

Cadet
It's my understanding that Mercruiser made a significant change in the Generation I series in 1986 - with the Generation II Series following in 1991. My boat is a 1987 Chris Craft with the 3.0 liter engine - so it's possible that it has a "left-over" '86. There may be an "MRA" designation that reveals what it is - but the significance of the "MRA" isn't really clear to me. The engine serial number is B-645621 and the stern drive unit serial number is 0B694259. Also, the Power Package Model is 2130Y - whatever that means. I'm certain that this is all original equipment for the boat, so what do these numbers mean??? I'm anxious to get my hands on the correct Mercruiser manual.

jsturvey

Seaman
Re: Generation I Later Model?

Pretty certain that you have an Alpha 1, Gen1 outdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Alpha 1's started in 86. MR's were only in 85.
Your serial number is in the 87 range, but the drive model number shows it's a factory replacement.
The engine is also an 87, model number 01301337.

alumanut

Cadet

Alpha 1's started in 86. MR's were only in 85.
Your serial number is in the 87 range, but the drive model number shows it's a factory replacement.
The engine is also an 87, model number 01301337.

Interesting - as these are the numbers the original owner recorded in his maintenance manual. On the other hand, the Stern Drive Unit Serial No. is recorded in red ink, as opposed to everything else being in blue ink. This suggests that it could have been replaced under warranty - or due to a "close encounter" with a rock! That said, is the stern drive unit an earlier or later Alpha One?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

suggests that it could have been replaced under warranty - or due to a "close encounter" with a rock! That said, is the stern drive unit an earlier or later Alpha One?

Or stolen and replaced before the boat was sold. Impossible to say.