'89 4.3L A1 Distributor: too many Wht/Grn wires

Volphin

Lieutenant
Hi guys,

I was finishing up my repower and have run into a funny problem. According to service manual 7, on page 4E-4 (attached) distributor should be wired this way:

White/Red to Dist from Module: OK
White/Grn to Dist from Module: OK
White/Grn from Dist to Shift Inter. Terminal block opposite Gray.

Normally not a problem. Except I have TWO White/Greens coming out of the harness.
I attached one to the dist with the other from the module. Does the other go to the Shift Inter block?
Why would they run it through the harness instead of the more simplistic wiring explained in the diagram?
Does it matter which is attached to the dist?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Service Manual #07 4E-4.pdf
    195.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Service Manual #07 4E-4.jpg
    Service Manual #07 4E-4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: '89 4.3L A1 Distributor: too many Wht/Grn wires

The diagram clearly shows one White/Grn going from the module to the distributor, and another (completely separate) White/Grn going from the same post on the distributor to the shift interrupt switch.

Poking out of the harness you should have one White/Grn at the module, 2 White/Grns at the distributor and one White/Grn at the shift interrupt switch.

Does that help?

Chris..........

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: '89 4.3L A1 Distributor: too many Wht/Grn wires

Thanks Chris... I think I have it wired up correctly. I noticed my SIS had a short Wht/Grn on the bottom lug of the terminal block. The harness Wht/Grn #1 I attached here as it had some oil residue on it from previous tinkering. The other Wht/Grn that came out of the harness I attached to the dist, along with the Wht/Grn from the module. There was no Wht/Grn direct from dist to SIS. I can only assume that the wire is looped into the harness, although I have not confirmed that with a voltmeter. I do have a delay when shifting from forward to neutral normally... the prop spins for 5 seconds or so more then kicks to neutral. I have no idea why it does that... but it always has.