Weird hole

Dan14143

Cadet
image(7).jpgphoto(1).jpgOk know this may be a odd question or a easy one. but i have 1991 Ebbtide Montery that i bought as a project last year I rebuilt the carb and re did much of the inside and I got to finnaly ut it in the lake last weekend. I had 2 problems, On is that the bilge pump switch lever doesnt seem to float.. as it should.. It is welded plastic so I suppose it may have water in it and there fore not float, the other is that there seems to be a 5/16 hole just forward of the starbord forward engine mount ( Mercruiser 350) it is into the water jacket. Is this a drain petcock missing or is there supposed to be some thing there that is missing? Please help
~Dan

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weird hole

If your referring the the exaust manifold then there should be a plug there.

Dan14143

Cadet

if you see the 1st picture that is the bottom of the motor mount on the left you can see the one bolt head.. the plug is that 1/4 mpi?

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Bilge pumps are cheap enough, buy a new one. It's common for the float arms to quit floating after a bit. An engine serial number will help. BT is right, looks like a missing drain plug.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That is definitely the engine block not a manifold. There is not supposed to be any holes in that area. block drains are behind the mounts not in front of them.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cant see any thread either!!!!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

dr_zps968cea36.jpg

Dan14143

Cadet

i thought that too... but a 5/16 coarse threaded loosely into it .. not sure what to make of it.. but it is definately drilled NOT a crack or malformity.. dunno what to make of it

Bondo

Staff member

i thought that too... but a 5/16 coarse threaded loosely into it .. not sure what to make of it.. but it is definately drilled NOT a crack or malformity.. dunno what to make of it

Ayuh,.... In yer pictures, the water seems to be comin' from Above that hole,...

Dan14143

Cadet

no it was splashiun everywhere while running, i stuck my head down there after shut down it was coming from the hole i know that for sure.. it spashes directly into the bilge wall.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a hole in your block that shouldn't be there. Why it's there, I couldn't tell you.
May have been a casting defect that finally rusted through because the casting was thinner at that point.

Dan14143

Cadet

ok so does any one have a recommendation for a fix for this.. regardless of how it got there I need to make it go away.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You could :
try drilling and tapping for a threaded plug but the area looks thin.
try grinding the area clean and jam a ball of JB Weld in the hole.

Don S

I don't think it's even close to being thick enough to tap. JB weld maybe, but it's so thin I would have to believe it's going to rust through again real soon.
Like I said, the JB weld might get you a few days, maybe weeks, impossible to say from one picture. But what you need is a new block.

Don S

Doesn't matter how many running hours are on it? It's still cooled with water (not antifreeze) that causes rust and the engine is over 20 years old.