Neutral???

Sheldon14

Recruit
I have a question about why my boat seems to start but it is in gear? I changed the impeller and followed all of the steps but when i put it back together i cannot seem to get neutral? Should i take the lower end off again and start over? Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Neutral???

Sounds like your talking about a Alpha. Did you remove the drive or just the lower section? If you removed the drive the shifter needs to be in the full forward position to remove and for reinstallation. If you shifter was not in the full forward position this is why it will start in gear and you cannot get it into netural. I'm just guessing here we need some more info.

Sheldon14

Recruit

Yes it is an Alpha One i believe, i did the impeller by myself and was quite a task to get the lower end back up on my own, so I am not sure if it went in exactly as it came out...

alldodge

Staff member

Is the shift arm lined up and connected to the shoe? You can see it between the two halves

Sheldon14

Recruit

Yes the shifter linkage is in the shoe, could the cables have slipped...not totally mechanically saavy so if I am off please let me know

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Try spinning the prop. If it locks when you turn it in the CLOCKWISE direction then you are in reverse and your intermediate shaft went onto the lower shift shaft "off a spline" because the gearcase was in reverse rather than forward when you put it together. Do this: Drop the lower, turn the lower shift shaft (short splined shaft in front) all the way clockwise. Turn the prop COUNTERCLOCKWISE til it locks and use a bungee to hold it there (you are now in F). Make sure the washer is in place on the lower ss, the control handle is in forward and the top of the intermediate shift shaft is pointed straight ahead (pix) and put it back together.

Attachments

• 101_0370.JPG
    101_0370.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0