305 merc switch to 302 ford??

slyoell

Cadet
I have a 86, 22 ft. seray seville with a 305, log manifold is cracked, the motor is good, but the previous owner really messed up the wiring, i have the chance to put in a complete rebuilt 302, drop in ready just plug and go, what should i be concerned about, i know i will need to change to bell, any other thought ?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 305 merc switch to 302 ford??

Uh, I'm a Blue Oval guy, and like the 302 a ton more than that 305, but that's going to be a pain. You'd need to swap out the exhaust y-tube to a an MC-1 unit, which might not match the bell housing pattern (I don't remember when the switched to the 1-pc gasket). The bellhousing will need to be changed, and possibly the inner transom plate. You'll need to move the front motor mounts, too.

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be a lot easier, IMO, to chop off all the wiring and re-run new wire yourself than convert to a different make motor.

Bondo

Staff member

Uh, I'm a Blue Oval guy, and like the 302 a ton more than that 305, but that's going to be a pain. You'd need to swap out the exhaust y-tube to a an MC-1 unit, which might not match the bell housing pattern (I don't remember when the switched to the 1-pc gasket). The bellhousing will need to be changed, and possibly the inner transom plate. You'll need to move the front motor mounts, too.

Ayuh,.... It would be Easiest to get an 888 transom assembly,....

Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to piece together, 'n get it Right,...

Not to mention Ford has been outa the Marine biz for a Long time now,... I believe '79 in Merc's case,...

haulnazz15

Captain

Ayuh,.... It would be Easiest to get an 888 transom assembly,....

Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to piece together, 'n get it Right,...

Not to mention Ford has been outa the Marine biz for a Long time now,... I believe '79 in Merc's case,...

Agreed, sourcing out individual inner transom plate and exhaust y-tube would be a pain when grabbing the 888 unit off of a salvage boat is easier. Even when you ignore that Ford hasn't been used w/Mercruiser for a while, the swap just involves a lot of unnecessary changes to make it work.

I'd find a nice GM 5.7L and bolt her up.

slyoell

Cadet

Thank you all!!! you just made up my mind, I forgot about the Y tube being different, will try to correct the wire issue and have a dealer install new manifolds,maybe a captains call exhaust, again thank you!!