Ignition problems 1997 454

fourwinnsnate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so my boat is having some ignition problems it started out with a small bog at Wot and got worse and worse until
The boat wouldn't even run I have lots of spark at the coil but nothing on my plugs
I have a new distributor cap, plugs, and wires.
The boat is a 1997 Chaparral 2330 sport with a 7.4lmercruiser serial# (0K013329)
I have a suspicion that it is in the ignition module because it is really rusted and corroded.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can do some testing before I buy a new module?
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition problems 1997 454

I have a new distributor cap, plugs, and wires.

What about the rotor? They fail too.

When you say ignition module is all rusty, are you referring to the sensor in the distributor or the module on the outside of the distributor.
Also, did you check the distributor shaft bushings for excess play. Check in all directions.

fourwinnsnate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about the rotor? They fail too.

When you say ignition module is all rusty, are you referring to the sensor in the distributor or the module on the outside of the distributor.
Also, did you check the distributor shaft bushings for excess play. Check in all directions.

I am referring to the module outside of the distributor
I pulled the plug and the points on it look good but the bracket that it mounts
to is really rusty.
The rotor looks and feels good no play whatsoever and I used 500 grit sandpaper to clean up the steel on it
The problem is the boat is a 97 with 300hrs on it so has sat for most
of its life and every electrical connection is corroded so it
could be as simple as a bad ground or a sensor
not allowing the boat to run.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put a new rotor on it and give it a try. Clean the rust off the brackets, make sure the modules have good grounds.

If you have spark out of the coil, and not to the spark plugs, you have a bad cap or rotor.

fourwinnsnate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have spark out of the coil, and not to the spark plugs, you have a bad cap or rotor.

So Don are you saying that if I have spark the ignition module is working correctly?
If a knock sensor was failing or a temperature sensor would this kill spark all together or just turn the buzzer on?
Do you have access to a wiring diagram of this system so that I know where and what to test to determine whether it is working or not?
I am pretty mechanical I just don't know a lot about ignition systems but I am an electrician so I should be able to work my way through it and determine the problem
thanks
Nate