Sitting for 5 years - 1991 Monterey bowrider

bprz09

Cadet
I recently picked up a 1991 Monterey Bowrider with a 3.0 Mercruiser inboard motor. I am fairly new to the inboards but am very familiar with car motors, which is the reason I'm here because I'm not sure where to start. The motor is extremely clean and so is the boat but what I want to know is where should i start with trying to start her up. So far my plans are to change the motor oil and spark plugs but I don't know where to go from there. Any help is appreciated and any extra information on maintenance and things to do to make sure it runs as strong as it can. If there are any threads already posted I'm sorry but I tried searching a lot and came up with nothing.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Sitting for 5 years - 1991 Monterey bowrider

Hi. An engine is never going to like sitting for five years:(
Drain the gas, flush lines, change filters, make sure engine is not seized:( ,change plugs,drain/refill with fresh oil, new filter, check all hoses for cracking, was it winterized? If not, cross your fingers for cracked block! New battery, cross your fingers and turn the key :)
Oh-forgot the outdrive , change the impeller (really important!), change gear oil, pull drive and grease uj's/spline, check all bellows for cracks/splits

bprz09

Cadet

Thank you so much! Can i run the old impeller just to try to start it up? how difficult is it to replace?

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if you just want to see if she runs what I would do is pull the plugs squirt some two cycle oil in the cylinders, pit muffs on the out drive for water supply, use a gas can and run a fuel line to the fuel pump, turn the engine over without spark until you get oil pressure up on the gauge. Then put a little gas in the carb, give it spark and start her up....if she runs then I would go thru the whole thing like pulling the drive draining gas changing oil tune up ....everything you can think of.

bprz09

Cadet

Awesome, Thank you! Why 2 cycle oil though? Also should I maybe change the oil before trying to turn it over just a precaution?

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two cycle is easier to burn, it might smoke for a little while till you burn it out

Thank you so much! Can i run the old impeller just to try to start it up? how difficult is it to replace?

The old impeller is probably in bad shape and should be replaced BEFORE you run it. You don't want bits of it flowing up into the engine :eek:
It's not a difficult job- buy a kit and follow the instructions. If you're going to do your own work, you should get a Merc manual.