Alpha drive-No forrward!

Boat2

Recruit
I have a 1993 Mariah 21' Shaba with a 350 ci 4 barrel. I got it out od the barn yesterday and changed the oil and lower unit lube. I used the ($15/qt) Mercruser "performance" lube. I started it on the muffs, checked for leaks, and shifted it into reverse and into forward gears. All was well. I took it to the river, backed it off the trailer, put it in forward and it died. I removed the lower shift cable to try to put it in gear. I could shift it into reverse with two fingers but not into forward no matter what I try! I assume this indicates a problem in the gear box?!?! Did it break on the trailer? Which generation lower unit is on my boat?

cedgo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Alpha drive-No forrward!

Hello, can't help, but these guys will want the numbers from the out drive and the engine.

'93 will be a Alpha One Gen II.

Sounds like a worn lower shift cable binding enough to trip the shift interrupter too long.

Boat2

Recruit

That sounds logical...but why would it shift nicely into reverse with a bad cable?

Boat2

Recruit

OK...I fixed it!! You will never believe this!!! The magnetic pin that is pressed into the drain plug was MISSING when I removed the drain plug to begin repairs. I carefully fished it out through the drain hole. Now it shifts just fine!!! Who'd a thunk!!