Need help locating correct bearing carrier!

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm getting down to the wire with some commitments to get my boat out of dry dock, and only a mooring, and drop a guy off on an island on the lake for a week.

I thought I was going to be wrapping up my drive work tonight, but somehow it didn't register that the bearing carrier that I bought was longer than the beat up old carrier I pulled out.

The only remaining markings I have on my drive are 1623-8266S which I believe is the part number for the lower.
It's a Mercruiser 165hp I-6, and some sort of R drive, or MC1 or who knows. I can't figure the damn thing out.

The carrier I pulled out has 56211 on it. You'll notice the oil seals for the shaft are pretty much flush with the ring.

Before I knew better, I thought part number 73020A14 was the superseded number, but it's about 7/8" too long, and the seals that fit to the prop shaft don't come close because of it.

Here's a pic of the old carrier.

20130623_202650.jpg

Can anyone direct me to the CORRECT one for sale?

Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Need help locating correct bearing carrier!

Let's start with a few knowns. Engine serial number? (or at least a year.) The 165 was produced from the late 60s to the early 80s...
Second. Does the drive-shaft in the gear housing have a spring loaded pin in the top of it, or is it without the pin?

Most of the drawings for the 165 gear housing show you have the correct part... But there are some earlier and later ones that are different.

As I am currently operating behind a proxy (for which I have no choice) I can't see your photo. Please load directly to iBoats so I can see it... Thanks...

Chris.....

soggy_feet

Pic work for you now?

I don't have the engine s/n available at the moment, but I can tell you it's somewhere around 1970-73. I'll be running out to the yard tonight after work, I'll get the s/n then.

The shaft does have a pin in it, although I can't compress it (at least by hand).

soggy_feet

I really hope I can make some progress on ordering the correct carrier, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Taking dimensions now, will start turning some heat sink pieces this afternoon, and hopefully start laying some weld on the old carrier by this evening. Also just ordered a quart of Alodine to coat it all before paint when Im done, and if it doesn't look like that'll be in soon enough, I've got a backup of some Belzona 1341 Super Metal Glide I might be able to coat it with.

Either case should remove it from the elements for the most part, and keep this part in service for another 10+ years.

achris

Yes the photo worked, thanks... And that is a very old unit. I would venture to say that the gear housing pre-dates the engine, by several years. Try this number -52835A2...

Chris.......

soggy_feet

Thanks a lot! There's even an ebay auction for an NOS unit running right now!

Based off the carrier, and the housing part number (1623-8266S), do you have any idea which drive this actually is? MC1? R?

achris

Very early MC1....

And that number on the housing will be a casting number, not a part number, so looking it up using that is not just difficult, it's impossible...

Chris.......

soggy_feet

Everything is a battle with this boat...

If I hang onto it many more seasons, I think I'm going to stretch the boat another 8ft and repower it with something much newer.

Thanks again for the help.

achris

Everything is a battle with this boat...

If I hang onto it many more seasons, I think I'm going to stretch the boat another 8ft and repower it with something much newer.

Thanks again for the help.

Well, you are working on something more than 40 years old.

soggy_feet

New carrier showed up last night.

Doesn't fit.

This one is slightly longer overall than the old one, and all the diameters are smaller. I was hoping if the outside fit was the same, I'd be able to pop the bearing and the seals out and turn them to the diameters I need.

But that's not going to work.

Back to the old plan, going to try to rebuild the original one, although I'd really like to know the proper part number.
Trying to get the boat in the water on Monday.

achris

New carrier showed up last night.

Doesn't fit.

Post a photo of the entire drive. It's sounding like you have something a little different there....

soggy_feet

I'm in overdrive trying to get the old one back to working condition, hopefully sticking to my schedule to launch on Monday. I'm going to put the drive identification on hold until after the 4th.

Thanks for staying with me on this though.