1988 Mercruiser 3.7L question

Ralph1949

Recruit
Engine turns over but won't spark. Spark plugs changed, no spark. Changed coil, still no spark. Coil wire changed, no help. Boat has been sitting for 6 years without being started. Acts as if the coil is bad. Anyone have any ideas?? I am out of them!

Re: 1988 Mercruiser 3.7L question

New points and condenser...

Does the (+) terminal of the coil have voltage when the key is in the "run" position AND the "start" position?

ericcarr2000

Ensign

You know what Ralph, I was having the same problem when I first got my boat. What I did was convert it over to electronic, doing away with the condenser and points to being adjusted and replaced the coil with an aftermarket Mallory pro master coil, and havent had not a single problem with her since.....

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Thats cool if you have 150$ laying around. Points and condenser are alot cheaper and kinda cool old school when you figure them out (and buy an antique dwell meter on fleabay, got my snapon circa 1970 for 20$) Ralph you have fallen into the throwing parts at the problem method of troubleshooting. Like Eric stated above. Learn how to read a voltmeter and isolate your issue. It will be alot cheaper and you will gain knowledge that you can use when other issues arise. Which they will with a used boat.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

check your grounds... they could be really badly corroded or rusted up. That is what caused my no spark.