Mercruiser Thunderbolt V ignition problem?

fixxupp

Cadet
Boat ran perfectly last fall. Purchased it, brought it home, winterized and stored it. This spring, it won't run. Starts easily, engine accelerates smoothly and quickly, like it's off to the races, but it craps out in less than a second. Like the ignition was shut off. Every time. I siphoned out all fuel, replaced with new, pumped new to carb. Tore down and cleaned the carb (looked clean already). No change. Lined up all the plugs in a grounded row in firing order and watched them spark 1-6-5-4-3-2 each in turn.

I grounded out the purple/white (to go into base timing mode), but it makes no difference, does exactly the same. So do I have a problem with the T5 ignition module? Is there any way to take the module offline and run the engine without it? (For testing only).

The previous owner told me he had the same problem last spring and he just boosted and cranked until it started, then he ran at half-throttle for "a while", then it was good for the summer.

Is there enough info here to confirm I should just go purchase the Delco Voyager EST system?

Or is there some drop-dead test I should do to prove beyond any doubt that the T5 module is toast?

Thanks for any guidance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Thunderbolt V ignition problem?

That bulletin is for a TB4 ignition, the OP has a TB5

Here is the chart for the Thunderbolt V

attachment.php

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Boat ran perfectly last fall. Purchased it, brought it home, winterized and stored it.

This spring, it won't run.

Starts easily, engine accelerates smoothly and quickly, like it's off to the races, but it craps out in less than a second. Like the ignition was shut off. Every time.

So it DOES start EVERY TIME?

Sounds like you have a working ignition system, that quits after you do something.............. after you do WHAT? Move the throttle?

Is this an Alpha? Maybe it's a maladjusted cable/ shift interrupt? Or the WHT/GRN wire from the shift interrupt to the ICM chafing/grounding out on something etc......

Don S

What is the engine serial number?
We only know it's a 6 cylinder, and that only by the firing order.
Year, carbed or EFI,

You could have nothing more wrong than a bad ignition switch. Turn the key to run and see if you have battery voltage on the + terminal of the coil.

fixxupp

Cadet

Yep, starts every time. Don S. nailed it, no coil volts with key in Run position.

Admiral, you nailed it too "...quits after you do something..." Yep, it quits after I let the key return from start to run position.

Not yet sure how to zero in closer, but you fellows have been a great help getting this far.

Thank you very much!!

Don S

Check the voltage at the ignition switch on the purple wire. If no power there, replace the switch.

Still need to know what engine ya got.

fixxupp

Cadet

Don,

Sorry, the boat is a 2001 Mariah, 4.3 Mercruiser (GM) V6, carburetted 2-bbl, Alpha outdrive. Too hot & humid to stand on my head in the engine compartment searching for the serial number, but ifya insist, I will do your bidding in the relative cool at the crack-o-dawn.

I removed the switch, it seems good, in run position there is continuity between B(attery) and I(gnition) terminals. So does this mean I need to chase the purple ignition wire through the harness, looking for an open or a ground?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Instead of checking for "continuity", check for full battery voltage at the ICM/dist when you release the key.

And while you're at it, check the battery terminals, and all fuse, switch and ground connections for corrosion and looseness.

fixxupp

Cadet

OMG!! This boat is REALLY new to me, I didn't even do the buying checkout myself (and my son didn't mention it). While I was lying on the floor reinstalling the ignition switch, I noticed an on/off switch on a bottom left corner of the little panel where the shifter mounts. I had never noticed it before, I have never seen it on any other boat (even though I have bought/repaired/sold Mercruisers of vintage '87 to '96 in my golden retirement years). I have no clue as to its purpose, but I switched it ON and fired up the engine. It stays running!

I 'fess up cuz the embarrassment helps motivate me to be smarter in the future.

Sorry for wasting time, mine and yours. For me, another lesson learned.

And thanks again. This is an excellent resource!

Don S

It's the lanyard kill switch. Glad it cured your problem. The odd thing, is that shouldn't have been the problem. There isn't anything that bypasses the kill switch in the wiring.

fixxupp

Cadet

It's curiouser and curiouser, cuz it's a labelled toggle switch, not lanyard style. Looks OEM, not an afterthought modification. I can see rationale in a "secret location" security switch, but I cannot understand why the builder would have wired in a plainly visible switch that does half the job, ie, lets it fire up, but not run. (Could it be the builder was out of lanyard-style stock and just threw in whatever would fill the hole?)

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is possible the starter switch is bad and the toggle is the quick fix to hotwire it. I had to do this to a car I owned long ago while I waited for the new switch to come from Japan.

Don S

Here are a couple pictures from a 2001 owners manual.

control.jpg lanyard.jpg