Its seized

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 87 3.0 trying to turn over for the first time in four years. The starter engaged and got about half a revolution and stopped, now it just hammers hard. Fearing the worst i removed the starter and tried prying on the teeth of the flywheel with no luck in either direction. My question is what should my next step be or am I SOL :deadhorse:
Ps the drive is off all plugs are out, and I noticed my exhaust flapper is gone.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Its seized

I have a 87 3.0 trying to turn over for the first time in four years. The starter engaged and got about half a revolution and stopped, now it just hammers hard. Fearing the worst i removed the starter and tried prying on the teeth of the flywheel with no luck in either direction. My question is what should my next step be or am I SOL :deadhorse:
Ps the drive is off all plugs are out, and I noticed my exhaust flapper is gone.

Ayuh,... Yank it out, 'n mount it on a stand, so's it's easier to work on, 'n tear it down,...

After four years of sitting it will have some rust build up on cylinder walls and/or rings. Ideally it should be taken apart and cylinders honed/machined and new rings installed.
If you are looking for a no-cost solution, and are not concerned with scored cylinder walls etc. try pouring penetrating oil in each cylinder, and let it sit for a few days then try to lever the flywheel again. If it moves a little then repeat the process until it will turn over. How much damage will occur depends on how badly it has rusted:(

haulnazz15

Captain

Don't pry on the flywheel teeth, just use a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would use a socket but it is impossible to get at.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't pry on the flywheel teeth, just use a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt

There isn't one. Even if there was, it's not a good idea to use that bolt to try and turn a locked up engine. Break that bolt or damage the threads in the crankshaft you you would really be in trouble then.

Nothing wrong with prying on the flywheel teeth. You aren't going to break a tooth with a screwdriver, or even a small pry bar. Even if you did, the engine is junk anyway if it doesn't turn.