1988 3.0L Merc Loses Spark, Baffled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1MeanC3

Cadet
Re: 1988 3.0L Merc Loses Spark, Baffled!

Why won't I change the coil? Because this is the THIRD coil I've put on the boat... And this coil LITERALLY has 4 trips up the lake... I still have the box the coil came in...

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1988 3.0L Merc Loses Spark, Baffled!

Starting to think it may be the Pertronix module/distributor.

I think this is the area. There are several write ups on the web where many of these are heat related failures. Be nice to put the points back in or have another module you could put in.

Kyle8973

Cadet
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the a similar setup and am experiencing the same issue. I have a 1987 Mercruiser 3.7L MCM 165 4 cylinder motor. I have the Pertronix ignition on my boat as well. I run the boat for 15-20minutes and then once it's got my boat starts to miss fire and then shutdown. I am then not able to get it started again until it cools. I know this post is pretty old, just hoping you may engender if you resolved the issue.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the a similar setup and am experiencing the same issue. I have a 1987 Mercruiser 3.7L MCM 165 4 cylinder motor. I have the Pertronix ignition on my boat as well. I run the boat for 15-20minutes and then once it's got my boat starts to miss fire and then shutdown. I am then not able to get it started again until it cools. I know this post is pretty old, just hoping you may engender if you resolved the issue.

It's too late to ask after 7 years. Start a thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.