Marine tex as temp fix

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a welder look at this and he said to fill with grey marine tex, and dirillntap I don't care if the drive fails eventually. I just want this to hold pressure, and work for the season or a few trips. I did drill out all of the remaining bolt, left me with a oblong hole. Can I just fill the entire thing with the marine tex and file the inside so the cap seals?
Ps I do plan on replacing entire drive with a new SEI unit this winter.

Attachments

• broken 2.jpg
    broken 2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • broken 1.jpg
    broken 1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Marine tex as temp fix

Your 2nd pic of the hole didn't post. I've used marine tex, JB weld and quick metal to make repairs before but if I were you on that I would have used an easy out to remove the bolt rather than drill it completely out. Anyway what I would do now to repair that is use a heli coil with red locktite and it would be a permanent fix then.

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did try an easy out with no luck. Had a friend try to get it out he ended up cracking it. The only way to remove all of the old bolt was to drill oversize.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

That's ok, it happens. Now that you have what you have, get the same size thread heli coil as the bolt, the hole needs to be over sized for it, just match up the required drill bit and make it the right size. You may need to borrow someones drill press if like you said, the hole is oblong now. The heli coil will be a repair that will last and you won't have to spend all that money or wait for a failed unit. The epoxy putty fix I doubt would even work, what is the torque spec for that bolt?

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think torq is 20lbs I just don't know with the crack on the bearing side if the cover will seal properly

re-drill and heli coil. You may have to restore the seal side or grind it so it mates correctly. If the hole is out of round you can try to put a few small pieces of cloth over the hole then drill through the cloth as this will help the drill center and cut smooth. The crack looks like it goes into the hole on one side only so after the heli coil is in use silicon on the new bolt threads

NHGuy

Captain

Also take a look at Time-serts. They are a fancy helicoil. I did a repair on a stripped cast aluminum motorcycle oil plug for my neighbor with one. I think it came with some kind of a drill guide to keep the dedicated bit on the straight and narrow,
But your original idea will probably work too. Marine tex hardens up far stronger than the aluminum you are repairing. The main task will be to get the original hole location. If you get the tap straight the drive will be permanently repaired.