Mercruiser 3.0 liter "bogging", wont reach full throttle

Wittser29

Cadet
The boat will idle just fine and will pick up a little speed...5mph to 10mph. Then when I put it full throttle or accelerate it bogs and will stay in the bogging stage and wont pick up anymore speed. Please help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 liter "bogging", wont reach full throttle

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Change the fuel filters,.... she's Stavin' for fuel,...

Ya don't give much info, but there should be a filter in the fuel pump, 'n another in the carb's inlet fittin',...

Now would be a good time to add a canister type filter, 'tween the tank, 'n the fuel pump,...

Wittser29

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Change the fuel filters,.... she's Stavin' for fuel,...

Ya don't give much info, but there should be a filter in the fuel pump, 'n another in the carb's inlet fittin',...

Now would be a good time to add a canister type filter, 'tween the tank, 'n the fuel pump,...

Yeup already changed those and cleaned up the carb and cleaned the distributer and checked the timing

Oshkosh1

Ensign

How old's the gas? Could be old and lost it's volitility
When was the carb last rebuilt? A good cleaning won't always work...

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ignition!

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

clean them again ??? did u take them apart and soak them cleaning out all passages ??? sounds like sumns stuck in the high spedd jet ???fuel pumps ??? do those probably needs it

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had this issue on my 5.0. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. It'd sustain RPMs to about 3k and then bog anything higher than that.

Impalaheaven

Recruit

The boat will idle just fine and will pick up a little speed...5mph to 10mph. Then when I put it full throttle or accelerate it bogs and will stay in the bogging stage and wont pick up anymore speed. Please help.

Did you ever figure this out ??? I'm having the exact same problem rebuilt carb and all filters have been changed new cap and rotor aswell and spark plugs I have a seperater did the timing... Need help!

Bondo

Staff member

Did you ever figure this out ??? I'm having the exact same problem rebuilt carb and all filters have been changed new cap and rotor aswell and spark plugs I have a seperater did the timing... Need help!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya need to start a thread of yer Own, insteada hy-jackin' this 1,....

Impalaheaven

Recruit

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya need to start a thread of yer Own, insteada hy-jackin' this 1,....

Why would I do that when all I need is the end result??

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had this problem with my starboard engine on the houseboat last year. My fuel left the tank, then a T fed the 2 engines. The Port engine always ran fine, the starboard would only run at low rpm. Kept trying electric fuel pumps with no results. Then I started checking the fuel lines from end to end, and when I got where the line connected to the port engine fuel pump, I wiggled it and gas started seeping out- It had never leaked there, the line was cracked and "closed", it only leaked because I "opened" it. And being next to the pump it didn't affect the port engine at all. But sucking air bubbles into the crack was easier than sucking gas thru the lines- I cut off the last inch of line and re-attached it to the port pump, and the starboard engine's been fine ever since...