120 out drive won't shift to neutral in water

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Y'all got a strange one.
I have a '79 120 lower unit w/ a rebuilt 3.0 motor, long block, which I installed a few weeks ago.
Test ran with the muffs. Ran fine, shifted fine. The drive has never given any probs before. When we put her in the water it didn't want to start. When i got it to start, by throttling up a bit, the prop was engaged and I could not get it to go into neutral.
Pulled her out, took it home, checked the cables and linkage could not see a problem. Hooked up the muffs, started up fine. Ran through the gears/ neutral worked fine. Soooo put it back in the lake..same thing!
I noticed when I turn the prop backwards now when its in gear I can hear the clutch dog clicking. I'm not sure but I don't think it did that before.
Any Ideas? Bend shift arm?
Scott

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 120 out drive won't shift to neutral in water

Sounds like you don't have your shift interrupt switch hooked up right, or it's not working.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Y'all got a strange one.
I have a '79 120 lower unit w/ a rebuilt 3.0 motor, long block, which I installed a few weeks ago.
Test ran with the muffs. Ran fine, shifted fine. The drive has never given any probs before. When we put her in the water it didn't want to start. When i got it to start, by throttling up a bit, the prop was engaged and I could not get it to go into neutral.
Pulled her out, took it home, checked the cables and linkage could not see a problem. Hooked up the muffs, started up fine. Ran through the gears/ neutral worked fine. Soooo put it back in the lake..same thing!
I noticed when I turn the prop backwards now when its in gear I can hear the clutch dog clicking. I'm not sure but I don't think it did that before.
Any Ideas? Bend shift arm?
Scott

Ayuh,.... I think Don has hit it,... Ya missed a couple of wires,.... the 1s on the shift switch,...

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice

The shift int. switch is hooked up. I will dbl check but it was working. Why would it work on the muffs but not in the water? When I put it in the first time the throttle was in neutral and the prop was free turning. When I lowered it in the water and tried to start it acted like it was in gear.

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice

Interrupt switch is good. Back on the muffs and seems to be working again. What else could cause it to be in gear when it in neutral but only in the water??

thumpar

Admiral

The switch might be hooked up but is it working? There are a lot of things you can do on the trailer but in water is different.

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice

Switch is working. It isn't a problem of shifting. right now is starts, runs,shifts. But when I put it in the water , in neutral, and try to start the gears are engaged.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

nuetral safety switch is bad/by-passed allowing you to start it in gear because the throttle only button is not working.