Hesitation when accelerating

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice
Since I'm fixing all my other recent problems with my boat I might as well fix one I've had for years.

93 Bayliner, 3.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2.

Ever since I've owned the boat, about 6 years now, it has always hesitated when accelerating. I've never been able to go from a crawl to wot. So if I'm going at 1/4 throttle and hit the gas it will start to stall and I have to bring the throttle back and kind of pump it and then go wide open. It idles fine and goes wide open fine, it's just when accelerating.

From my research I've seen some similar problems and the solution is accelerator pump and I should rebuild my carb, sound like a good place to start?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Hesitation when accelerating

Rebuilding your carb would be a good place to start if everything else is working fine. When you throttle up quickly the carb linkage should be pushing the accelerator pump in thereby pushing extra fuel down the carb. If the accelerator pump is not work or not working very well then you have opened the throat of the carb and put the engine into a very lean state which it then wants to stall/die.

Do this with help. Have the engine turned off. Take the flame arrestor off and look down the throat of the carb. Have someone else move the throttle control slowly full FWD and watch and see if there is a steady stream of fuel being push in. If it does there could be other issues, if the stream is weak or broken then it's time to rebuild or replace. Let us know what you find.

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate your time. I will try tonight. Thanks!

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

does sound like a jetting issue, clogged or not set correctly

tullaroan

Recruit

This may sound like a simple answer, but I have a 2000 Stingray with a 4.3 and it used to have similar problems. With the reformulated gasoline and added ethanol, it messes the engine up. I went to Walmart and bought the big bottle of Lucas fuel treatment and poured all of it in my tank...I have a 35 gallon tank. Then I drove it to the lake and unbelieveably it accelerated better and better througout the day. Try this as it is only $9 or so. Either way it will help.

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, might help my pinging problem also. Couldn't get a friend over tonight to do the carb test... I have so many friends when the boat is actually running!