1999 Alpha 1 Gen 2 4.3 Shift Problem

CaptainCecil

Recruit
Hi folks,
Been looking at all the great info here and learning a lot. The vids cross posted are excellent.
Anyway, the UJ bellows was toast so pulled all three plus the oil and water line. Gimbal bearing felt rough so replaced that too, as well (all this was sierra parts). Changed the seal ahead of the gimbal bearing and got a new shift cable too (Merc parts). Drive would not go back on. Fetched alignment tool it was way out. Concerning too since I didn't move the engine. My Merc repair dude got real big with his alignment tool and got it aligned (mostly). Still a female dog to get the drive back on. Never would have gotten it done without aChris's vid.

Anyway, reset the upper and lower shift cable per achris spec. Upper cable (remote shift) was still true. The brass knuckle on the lower shift cable looks to be a lot closer to the end of the cable (advanced on the stainless tube, than the old one (which was pinned). Reverse does not permit much travel. Won't go past 2 o'clock. Also spinning the prop does not behave as it should (fwd=rachet cw-locked cw, N freewheel, R rachet ccw-locked cw). Tried it in the water and it would not shift out of fwd unless power was cut (sounds like cutout switch) and does not run more than a few seconds. Rev would sputter and die.

I did not touch anything other than listed here and wonder if it is normal for a drive to show such problems from a simple gimbal bearing change. Any thoughts on next steps? How about my Merc Guy's assertion about the motor mounts collapsing? I'll check the cutout switch tomorrow, but it'll probably be OK like the remote shift cable.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Alpha 1 Gen 2 4.3 Shift Problem

1. Any time the gimbal bearing is changed the gimbal bearing itself will NOT be aligned to the coupler. The inside of the gimbal bearing must be aligned to the coupler, then the coupler aligned to the gimbal bearing.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...utdrives/engine-alignment-how-tos-443992.html

2. Video's are great to get an idea how to do things, but when you get to adjustment stage, you need to follow the service manual.
Below is a file from the manual that covers only the cable adjustment. Follow it exactly and don't skip a step because you don't think it's important and the adjustment will work. From your description, it sounds like your adjustment is way out.

View attachment A1G2 Shift Cable Adjust.pdf