5.7LX EFI fuel flow question

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat has analog gauges and none tell me what the fuel flow is. I've read where boaters know precisely at what speed/RPM their boat runs most efficiently (i.e. least GPH).

What is the cost-effective way for me to get this information on my boat? What have you done?

SmartCraft is way too much money for my wallet (and may not even work on my 1997 engine).

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 5.7LX EFI fuel flow question

Only two ways I know of to figure cost per hour of fun. Either a flow meter or watch how you boat, keep track of run hours and do the math on fill up. I have helped put in fuel flow meters (Flow Scan) in one boat which was a 34 foot Searay. After install my buddy found out what the optimum speed was which was real close to where he was to begin with. Afterwards he figured he did save some fuel but it wasn't that much but it did pay for the equipment at least, his words not mine.

The least costly way is to keep track of your running hours and do the math at the pump. Keep in mind a full tank is great if your going to burn through it in one day, otherwise the best way is to only have a bit more fuel then you plan to burn.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.7LX EFI fuel flow question

thanks for the input. at that cost (i see it being around $2-300), i think i'll pass. crazy that it's so expensive! I would've thought something could be re-purposed from the automotive sector.

Instead I'll just use what I've been able to find on the internet and hope it's close...

thanks guys!