Oil Leak - 3.0L Mercruiser - Appears to be coming from behind the Crankshaft Pulley

Johni

Cadet
Hey Everybody,

I'm leaking oil from what appears to be coming from behind the crankshaft pulley. If someone could please take a quick look at these pics & help me identify the source, I would really appreciate.

ty ty

20130620_0246411_zps86a25c8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130620_0246251_zps47178768.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johni

Cadet
Re: Oil Leak - 3.0L Mercruiser - Appears to be coming from behind the Crankshaft Pull

Sorry for the poor pics, I took em last night while I was working.

I apologize for being so new, but I'm not sure if I should be replacing the timing chain cover or my oil pan.

I'm fairly confident about how to replace the timing cover, but not so much about the oil pan.

If this did happen to be an oil pan gasket or call for a replacement oil pan, would this be possible to do without lifting the engine?

Oil Leak.jpg

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil Leak - 3.0L Mercruiser - Appears to be coming from behind the Crankshaft Pull

You probably have a rust hole in the timing cover. I changed mine last month and the oil pan looks new. I put a stack of wood under the oil pan and levered up on the motor mount a 1/4". Then added one more thin piece of wood. I then removed the mount and harmonic balancer with a normal ballancer puller. Once removed your leak will be easy to see. I pushed on my cover and found a weak spot that fell apart.

I was lucky and found a used cover on ebay for $20. I painted it up good and got a new crank seal and gasket. I cut out the oil pan part of the gasket and used a lot of RTV. If it leaks I will need to do the full oil pan anyway so it is no risk. Pulling the engine may be required depending on your boat. The ballancer is tapped back on with 4 lb sledge and block of wood. I checked alignment when done and it had not changed.

IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg

Johni

Cadet

Thanks Smassey,

I appreciate your help & am gonna take your advice on swapping out the timing cover. Hopefully I can rent a normal balancer puller cuz I don't have one to use right now.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Smassey,

I appreciate your help & am gonna take your advice on swapping out the timing cover. Hopefully I can rent a normal balancer puller cuz I don't have one to use right now.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is the pan, 'n timin' cover Rusty,..??

Are ya boatin' in the brine,..??

In yer last picture, it appears to be the pan, or the gasket 'tween the pan, 'n timin' cover is where the leak is,...