Wiring shift interrupt with new distributor?

Wacko37

Cadet
I was wondering how to wire up my shift interrupt switch with my new HeI distributor on my 83 mercruiser 260hp (sbc)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wiring shift interrupt with new distributor?

Depends on which HEI distributor you have? Do you have a picture or a link to the one you bought?

Also, do you have an ammeter or volt meter on the dash, and what color are the wires hooked to the + and - terminals of the coil.

Wacko37

Cadet

It's a accel billet and the wire that comes off the switch is white with a green stripe I believe.

Don S

Post a picture or a link. accel billet doesn't mean much. How about answers to the other questions?

Wacko37

Cadet

And I do have a colt meter although I don't think it works properly. And as far as the other wire colors I'm not sure right now. Ill get a pic when I get home from work.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

That's not a marine distributor, that belongs in a car.

If you put that distributor in your boat, you will be wiring up the ignition source for a bomb!

Don S

Send it back, it's automotive, not marine. Not setup for a shift interrupt system, it's and it's a fire/explosion hazard. Not ignition protected like marine distributors are.

Your best bet would be a marine EST distributor. Here is an example. 5.7L GM Delco Voyager EST marine electronic distributor kit

Wacko37

Cadet

I had the thunderbolt ignition on it and I think the box fried so I'm gonna try to find a used one since apparently they think its worth its weight in gold to get a new one.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Need to diagnose the thunderbolt system first to make sure its bad........ Don has a trouble shoot chart in the sticky's

As Don said the Delco unit is a proven system..........The same this happend to mine and i went with a Mallory electronic unit designed for boat motors...... And my shift interrupt system works with this set up.

Pulled all the thunderbolt stuff and switch it over!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Run the Thunderbolt diagnostic chart and verify what's wrong with your system. If it is the ignition amplifier, then find a good second hand unit, and stay with it... NOTHING on the market can match it for performance and reliability....

We just went though a lot of problems on another thread installing the Voyager system on a 350 that previously had TB-IV... It's definitely NOT plug and play... .Quite a lot of wiring changes to be made to get it to work properly (and even then, not as good as the TB-IV)....

Chris........

That other thread, http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...co-est-ignition-not-going-so-well-609960.html

Don S

We just went though a lot of problems on another thread installing the Voyager system on a 350 that previously had TB-IV... It's definitely NOT plug and play... .Quite a lot of wiring changes to be made to get it to work properly (and even then, not as good as the TB-IV)....

There isn't a huge wiring problem, it's just a matter of following directions and paying attention to details. The Merc 3.0L engines have been using the EST distributor since 91.

When the complete EST kit is cheaper than the TB4 module alone, then why not upgrade?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There isn't a huge wiring problem, it's just a matter of following directions and paying attention to details. The Merc 3.0L engines have been using the EST distributor since 91.

When the complete EST kit is cheaper than the TB4 module alone, then why not upgrade?

It wasn't just the wiring changes, it included a dead module, an argument over whether a 'dial back' timing light could have killed the module, problems with timing curves....

If a good second-hand module can be had for less than the price of a new EST system, why not stay with the best system?

Just saying.....

Chris......