Mercruiser-Shifter Fine Tuning?

Kubica

Cadet
There is a set screw that could be loose in the bottom of the handle (Green arrow). Might check to see if it's tight. if secure, the bushings are probably worn out.

Untitled2.jpg

Hi- this is my first post.

Would someone mind identifying the shifter in the photos? A model number would be a big help.

I have the same shifter on a 1986 Regal Empress. I have two problems with the shifter: 1) it is very difficult to engage throttle-only when pushing in the bottom button, and 2) the shifter handle is sloppy on all three axes.

Even with the button pushed in, pushing the handle forward still engages drive. Thanks for the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser-Shifter Fine Tuning?

It's called a Commander Panel Mount.

Sounds like all the bushings are about gone. Here is the Service Manual for that control.

Kubica

Cadet

It's called a Commander Panel Mount.

Sounds like all the bushings are about gone. Here is the Service Manual for that control.

Hi Don,

When I do a google search for "Commander Panel Mount" the photos look different than the control I have. Mine is a Quicksilver with a square "throttle only" button and a control for trim and trailer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I did take the unit apart last night and I believe the whole thing needs to be replaced. Is there a direct fit part that I can use instead of trying to find the same control? Will the throttle and shift cables mate to the new control? Mine has a wiring harness with four wires that look like they extend all the way to the motor. I am also very confused on how the neutral lock works- unless one of the four wires controls the neutral lock?

Thanks again for the help.

Kubica

Cadet

Ok- anyone know where I can buy a new quicksilver control. I can't order any of the ones listed in the link above. There is basically zero technical info given on the website. I have no idea if it would be compatible.

I'm used to working on/racing BMWs. I need much much more technical info- I can't believe how little info is available on the interweb.

Kubica

Cadet

(edit - deleted)

Ok- next question. As the boat sits right now, I can not get it to turn over. I believe this is due to the neutral safety switch. The control that is in there now has nothing to do with the ignition. The control accepts the throttle and shift cables and has four wires for the trim and trailer control.

My question: how does the boat "know" not to start when it's in gear? Does the position of the shift cable determine if the neutral safety switch is on or off?

If this is the case, could I use a much simpler control for the throttle and shift cables? Just a simple non-wired handle? And just wire the trim and trailer controls to a simple switch?

I contacted a marine store and they said I'd have to buy a new control from mercury, switch out both throttle and shift cables to Gen II, and buy a wiring harness to control the trim for $600 if I want to keep using a mercury brand control. That seems ridiculous to me. I don't want to take the boat out of the water to change the throttle and shift cables.

Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok- next question. As the boat sits right now, I can not get it to turn over. I believe this is due to the neutral safety switch. The control that is in there now has nothing to do with the ignition. The control accepts the throttle and shift cables and has four wires for the trim and trailer control.

My question: how does the boat "know" not to start when it's in gear? Does the position of the shift cable determine if the neutral safety switch is on or off?

If this is the case, could I use a much simpler control for the throttle and shift cables? Just a simple non-wired handle? And just wire the trim and trailer controls to a simple switch?

I contacted a marine store and they said I'd have to buy a new control from mercury, switch out both throttle and shift cables to Gen II, and buy a wiring harness to control the trim for $600 if I want to keep using a mercury brand control. That seems ridiculous to me. I don't want to take the boat out of the water to change the throttle and shift cables.

Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,... All controllers have a neutral safety switch, it usually has yellow/ red wires comin', 'n goin', in the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit,...

Most of the controllers in the link are plug, 'n play with what you've got,...
Cables ends, Usually all interchange at the Controller, not so much at the motor,...

If yer only issue is startin' the motor, just jumper the 2 y/r wires together, 'n go,...
'n the trim/ tilt can be wired from a toggle switch anywhere ya want, or as many as ya want, in parallel,...

Kubica

Cadet

Ayuh,... All controllers have a neutral safety switch, it usually has yellow/ red wires comin', 'n goin', in the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit,...

Most of the controllers in the link are plug, 'n play with what you've got,...
Cables ends, Usually all interchange at the Controller, not so much at the motor,...

If yer only issue is startin' the motor, just jumper the 2 y/r wires together, 'n go,...
'n the trim/ tilt can be wired from a toggle switch anywhere ya want, or as many as ya want, in parallel,...

Ha!.... I wish that were my only issue!

Re: neutral safety switch. I have no idea how it works on the boat. I believe it is a mechanical type of switch and does not originate with an electronic signal from the control. I think this because there are only the 4 wires running from the control to anywhere else on the boat. They are melted together into one harness and I believe they are all for the trim/trailer control.

I believe the cable ends are usually interchangeable at the motor, and not at the control side. I believe I have the original "Gen I" cable ends. Most of the ones in the link take "Gen II" cables.

This is on a 1986 Regal. I am very confused.

Bondo

Staff member

Ha!.... I wish that were my only issue!

Re: neutral safety switch. I have no idea how it works on the boat. I believe it is a mechanical type of switch and does not originate with an electronic signal from the control. I think this because there are only the 4 wires running from the control to anywhere else on the boat. They are melted together into one harness and I believe they are all for the trim/trailer control.

I believe the cable ends are usually interchangeable at the motor, and not at the control side. I believe I have the original "Gen I" cable ends. Most of the ones in the link take "Gen II" cables.

This is on a 1986 Regal. I am very confused.

Ayuh,.... The Power for the Start circuit goes from the key-switch starter terminal, Through the neutral safety switch, to the slave solenoid,....
In gear, the switch is Open, No start,...

Look harder, you ain't found the y/r wires yet,...

Kubica

Cadet

Ayuh,.... The Power for the Start circuit goes from the key-switch starter terminal, Through the neutral safety switch, to the slave solenoid,....
In gear, the switch is Open, No start,...

Look harder, you ain't found the y/r wires yet,...

I found the wires- they weren't connected. The no-start was caused by an ignition wire issue. Thank you.

So I need a control that will accept original "Gen I" Merc throttle and shifter cables. I am looking at the Teleflex SL-3 (309474) or the UFlex Side Mount (B184MERC). Will they work? Which one should I jump on?

Thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure, just read up on each and pick the one you need.