changing bellows questions

mrnmrskyle

Seaman
well, i just bought a 1989 22' grumman.... beautiful boat and in really darn good shape for the age! but the u-joint bellow is split. is this a DIY job or should I take it somewhere? and is there any good step by step guides? i have the mercruiser manual SOMEWHERE (but just moved) ... but any advice would be great!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: changing bellows questions

What drive?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

well, i just bought a 1989 22' grumman.... beautiful boat and in really darn good shape for the age! but the u-joint bellow is split. is this a DIY job or should I take it somewhere? and is there any good step by step guides? i have the mercruiser manual SOMEWHERE (but just moved) ... but any advice would be great!

Just FYI.... It's a bellows (yes, with an "s" even when it's just one)....Like a fireplace bellows. "Bellow" is the sound people make when they have to replace one!:lol: (couldnt help myself!!!!)

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

ok well bellows lol... oops :)... i have a TON of parts the dude gave me with the boat, including ALL the bellows gimble bearing and cables and even a new prop (not really sure why the prop... one on it looks brand new)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've done all kinds of Mercruiser repairs over the years, but I've never had much luck getting the bellows clamped on each end. Mercruiser just didn't put much of a lip for the clamps to hold onto. And you have to use that black greasy Mercruiser bellows cement.

I would suggest making an appointment with a really good marine mechanic--one that specializes in Mercruiser. There's no worse feeling than figuring out your driveshaft and U-joints are rusting because you didn't get both ends of the bellows sealed.

And a worse feeling is to have your boat sink because a leaky bellows--I've been through that too.