1989 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one ?

bsmonster

Cadet
Just put my outdrive back in. We went to launch, put it in neutral and it started in gear/lurched forward. Luckily my girl had us tied securely to the dock. ;o)

Any thought as to why this is happening? Suggestions to remedy?

Thanks,
Monster

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one ?

When you put the outdrive back in the shift slide (on the end of the shift cable) did not properly connect to the upper shift shaft lever. The roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever may not be between the arms on the slide, so it will not shift out of forward. Yeah, pull the outdrive back far enough to slip the roller back between the arms.

bsmonster

Cadet

Thanks Terry, I will give it a try. My girl thinks will be boating in one hour... LMAO

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Test it when you get done (w/engine stopped).... Shifter in fwd, prop should "lock" when you try and rotate it CCW. Shifter in Rev, prop should lock when you rotate prop CW. And finally of course, in Neutral, prop will freewheel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also, when you work on your boat, no matter what you do to it. Start it up at home, on the muffs and make sure everything works before you head to the water and look bad at the ramp with a boat that doesn't work.

bsmonster

Cadet

Thanks Terry, That is exactly what happened. Took all of 30 min. I must be gettting to know our boat. KT I also did your test as well and wish I would have done that the frist time. I must have been a dunderhead at that moment :lol: and now for Don I get that now. Great advice I know I don't be that person. but was ;)

Thank you guys for all the great help.

Monster

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

And it pays to have a girl that knows how to tie a knot;)