3.0 losing power

I have a 1996 sea ray 3.0 that I just purchased. It ran great the first few times out; however, the last time we had it out it started losing power at higher RPM's. It did run at low RPM's to get back. I changed the spark plugs, replaced the fuel filter (that did seemed plugged), spayed carb cleaner into the carburetor.....took it out same problem. It runs fine on the hose and accelerates. The only other problem is after it shuts off for 15 mins or so on the hose, it is hard to start. Stabil in the fuel, and fresh gas added. Where do I start checking now?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 losing power

replaced the fuel filter (that did seemed plugged),

What about the filter in the carb. Would bet the carb is full of crap too. Spraying carb cleaner isn't doing anything but making it look nice, it never gets to the insides of the carb that gets clogged up.

Might want to consider installing a water separating fuel filter between the fuel pump and the tank and save yourself a lot of headaches on down the line.

Yes Terry, part #4 (the strainer) is missing. Like Don said, carburetor probably full of crap. At least I hope it is that simple.

LagunaBlue

Seaman Apprentice

Might want to pull that carb, disassemble it, and give it a thorough cleaning. SeaFoam works wonders.

Going to test the rebuilt carb tomorrow (had to fix the starter). Also, replaced the in-pump fuel filter and anti-syphon valve. And, installed a fuel/water separator as per Don's recomadation. I will post the results.

Running great (knock on wood). 43 MPH with just me in the boat. Just a side note: I replaced the carb base gasket from the two hole thin one to the thicker one hole. It made a big difference in the mixture screw setting. With the two hole thin one, I had to back it out 3 1/2 to smooth it out. Thick one, 1 1/2 out just like what is recommended. Anybody know why?