Boat not starting - Bad Starter?

WetDog54

Recruit
Hi,

I have a 2004 SeaRay 190 with the 3.0L Mercruiser that won't start. When I turn the key the engine doesn't turn over at all. There is just a single click that can be heard from around the starter motor.

I checked all and cleaned all the connections like the ground and the cable going from the battery to the starter but that didn't make a difference. Next I thought it was the battery and since that was easy to replace I bought a new one with the hopes of installing it and being on the water this weekend. After installing the new battery the problem still persists.

My next suspect was the starter motor. I removed that and hooked it up to a known good battery (12.44V) and grounded it. I then jumpered between where the battery connects to the starter and where the ignition wire connects (2 & 1) on the image shown below.

IMAG0026_zps1ade8f8e.jpg

All that happens is there are sparks at point 1. The starter doesn't spin or try to engage at all. So my question is this: Have I found the source of my problem keeping me off the water or is this not how one would test a starter? Any thoughts or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat not starting - Bad Starter?

If you're getting a clicking noise, it sounds like the solenoid is trying to pull in. With all wiring disconnected, can you move the starter motor shaft at all ? Is it seized ? Getting any voltage drop when you try to start it ? Sounds like a new starter motor (or good rebuild) may be the ticket.

TilliamWe

Banned

Since you sound fairly good with mechanicals, would you please remove the spark plugs on the engine and try to turn it over with a wrench on the damper pulley? It's possible that your engine has water in a cylinder or two, causing the starter to break. (It happens all the time on marine engines, and people replace a starter, just to break the new one) I'd hate to see you fix or replace this starter, bolt it on, and have it happen again. Good luck.

WetDog54

Recruit

Thanks guys. I ended up taking it to an auto parts store and they tested it on their machine. All it did was buzz like an alarm clock. The shaft wouldn't spin at all.

I picked up a new starter for $165 and installed it today. The boat started right up so I'm all set.

Cheers!

LagunaBlue

Seaman Apprentice

Glad that your back under way! Now get out there and enjoy this weather!