Help outdrive question

sea ray 84

Recruit
I just bought a 1984 sea ray Sv 195 which has the 305 mercruiser motor. (898) I'm new to these boats and I bought the boat without an outdrive on it. The boat cranks up an runs great and the boat is in good shape. I just need to know what kind of outdrives will work on this boat and where I might could find one. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I want to get it on the water as soon as I can.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help outdrive question

I have heard people are having good luck with the aftermarket sei drive. They have a 3 year fault free warrantee and are about half the cost of a Oem unit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Any drive from MC-1 to Alpha One (but NOT Alpha One Gen II) will work with your engine. 2 things you need to be aware of. First, the drive ratio. 898 used a 1.65:1 ratio, so any drive from a 470, in-line 6 '165' or early V6 should have the same ratio. The second thing to watch for it the yoke length. The drives for V engines and in-lines engines before about 1983 used different length yokes. Since about 1982 they are all the same. The good thing, yokes are fairly simple to change....

Chris.....

sea ray 84

Recruit

Thanks alot for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I found a used one the guy is guaranteeing for $250. I'm headed to pick it up now. What are the main things I need to check for?

sea ray 84

Recruit

UPDATE: I bought a 470 outdrive and installed it on the boat. Put it in the water today and everything works fine except reverse. it's hard to go in neutral but when you get into reverse it revs the motor up like it was in reverse but the prop isn't turning? Could I have not hooked up the shifter right? Or any idea what the problem could be? Thanks guys for any and all help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Shift cable adjustment....