Kill switch on my 1989 3 litre Mercruiser

Dennas

Cadet
I took my engine apart (NEW Head Gasket). 3 Litre Mercruiser 1989. I got it back together but now am getting no spark. It turns over great but no fire. I think I have screwed up somewhere on the wiring for the KILL SWITCH. I had this problem once on a outboard. Perhaps I can just bypass kill switch. Any advise? Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Kill switch on my 1989 3 litre Mercruiser

Just assuming since the work was on the engine, you are referring to the shift interrupt switch on the shift plate?

There is a terminal block on the shift plate. Make sure the wire coming from the coil is not hooked to the screw that holds the terminal block to the shift plate. It's grounded and will short the power from the coil to ground.
That coil wire needs to be on the outside terminal.

Dennas

Cadet

Just assuming since the work was on the engine, you are referring to the shift interrupt switch on the shift plate?

There is a terminal block on the shift plate. Make sure the wire coming from the coil is not hooked to the screw that holds the terminal block to the shift plate. It's grounded and will short the power from the coil to ground.
That coil wire needs to be on the outside terminal.

I was referring to the kill switch. There is a switch on the dash that when disengaged the engine will turn over but not start because there is no spark. You are referring to the terminal block to the shift plate. Are they the same. Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

2 different items. If it ran before you did the work and now does not and you didnt touch the man overboard switch trouble is most likely where Don says it is,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Probably not your lanyard kill switch either. If it was bad, you could start the engine, but it would die as soon as you released the key from the crank position.

Might want to check your wiring on the engine. Do you have voltage to the + terminal of the coil with the key in the run position?