Considering replacing a dead merc 2008 5.0 MPI with a 5.7L MPI reman.

keverett

Recruit
My father-in-law destroyed my merc 5.0 MPI with a shoddy winterizing job. Cracks in the block and manifolds so this perfectly good motor is now junk. It is an Alpha Drive (it's at the shop so I can't get the s#, sorry.) This stock motor ran great if a bit weak for the 4700Lbs of my 2009 220EX Crownline. So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a 5.7L MPI. From what I hear everything that bolted on the 5.0 will work directly on the 5.7--anyone ever done this and if so, what problems will I run into? . Are there any timing or jetting issues I need to worry about with this switch? Is it just a really bad idea? I know the Alpha has a 300hp limit, but I don't think the 5.7 MPI goes above 300 so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm considering a reman from Jasper or Michigan Mortorz. Any suggestions for a reputable mail order engine supplier would be helpful. I tried searching for this info in the threads but had trouble with the search engine and got hundreds of unrelated posts. I apologize in advance if this is a redundant post. If so, would someone supply a link so I can check out what's been said? Thanks in advance and this is a great forum.

regards
everett

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Considering replacing a dead merc 2008 5.0 MPI with a 5.7L MPI reman.

My father-in-law destroyed my merc 5.0 MPI with a shoddy winterizing job. Cracks in the block and manifolds so this perfectly good motor is now junk. It is an Alpha Drive (it's at the shop so I can't get the s#, sorry.) This stock motor ran great if a bit weak for the 4700Lbs of my 2009 220EX Crownline. So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a 5.7L MPI. From what I hear everything that bolted on the 5.0 will work directly on the 5.7--anyone ever done this and if so, what problems will I run into? . Are there any timing or jetting issues I need to worry about with this switch? Is it just a really bad idea? I know the Alpha has a 300hp limit, but I don't think the 5.7 MPI goes above 300 so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm considering a reman from Jasper or Michigan Mortorz. Any suggestions for a reputable mail order engine supplier would be helpful. I tried searching for this info in the threads but had trouble with the search engine and got hundreds of unrelated posts. I apologize in advance if this is a redundant post. If so, would someone supply a link so I can check out what's been said? Thanks in advance and this is a great forum.

regards
everett

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... The only Problem I know of with this swap is,...

You'll need a different 'puter to drive the Mpi hardware,...
The fuel, 'n ignition maps are different,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Bond-o is correct. The computer is the same if you can find a GM dealer that can program. its the program (fuel maps) that are different.

you can also put a bit more than 300hp thru an alpha. Mercruiser put Alphas in front of 330hp 7.4 liters. I myself have been in boat with much more power running thru the drive. its the holeshot that will kill them in that instance.

FireCkn

Cadet

Michigan Motorz is a fantastic place to deal with!! I purchased there complete 350 Alpha MPI package back in February and they took excellent care of me and surprisingly the motor was delivered to my door by the freight company the next day! I live in Md and there out of upstate Michigan so thats a good haul for overnight delivery which i must add I did not pay extra for it just worked out that way. They also took care of all the warranty paperwork with mercury/mercruiser after i filled it out and faxed it back to them. Great people and great place do not hesitate to use them for anything and if your unsure of something your ordering call them they are very friendly and knowledgeable.

NHGuy

Captain

Perhaps Michigan can reflash or swap your controller, ask them. That way you are not in violation of any warranty stuff.

keverett

Recruit

Thanks for all the input everyone. Very helpful. Not sure I'll go wiith the upgrade at this point. I just wan to get an engine in my boat and get back on the lake again. So, anyone have any experience with Jasper motors?

Dogdave

Seaman

From the jeep world I have had buddies that had bad luck with jasper. Jegs has marine engines at a decent price.

keverett

Recruit

Ok, that's good to know because our local offical installer uses Jasper. I'm never sure what the motivation is for these decisions on their part, though. Is it they get a bigger cut or what? I'm looking for 6 month warranty, and no charge replacement if the engine fails within that time. Also, all sheet metal, oil pan, valve covers, in place and the motor tested prior to shipping. Someone mentiond Michigan Motorz and I've heard other good things about them. Not familiar with Jegs. I'll look them up.

Thanks again,
keith