Mercruiser Starter Issue

jimphillips

Cadet
I have a 2000 5.7 Mercruiser in a Sea Ray 260. It's been difficult to start when cold, but has always performed well once it has been run for a few minutes. Last week, the starter began to only engage very briefly when the key was turned. Turning the key results in the starter engaging the flywheel for a split-second (belt moves maybe an inch), then the starter only spins.

I have checked the connections, batteries and topped off the drive lube (i understand there's a safety switch there). The wire end for the battery cable going to the starter appears to be in good condition. The 90 amp fuse appears to be in bad shape, but as far as I can tell it's conducting current. It does appear to have gotten very hot however, enough so to melt the rubber boot off the terminal. By-passing the fuse has the same result. The battery guage reads just under 14 volts and I use an AC Converter to maintain the batteries at all times.

At first, I thought possibly the main battery cable to the starter was bad. I removed the cable and jumped the starter straight to a battery terminal. The starter then engaged and turned the engine VERY SLOWLY, almost as if a battery was nearly dead. After I tried this, the positive lead on the jumper cable was extremely hot and so was the starter motor itself (solenoid was still cool.)

I'm shade-tree at best and used to working on outboards. I'm sure it's something simple i'm over looking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Starter Issue

Sounds like a bad starter to me. Take it off and have it tested.

jimphillips

Cadet

Ok, I replaced the starter with a new one and wired it back as it was. Now when I turn the key all I get is a faint click sound. I notice that the new starter has 4 poles on the solenoid. Does this one need to be wired differently?

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the starter a cheap rebuild? Make sure all connections are clean.l:....for sure the 90 amp thing. Make sure battery's are fully charged

jimphillips

Cadet

I admit that I chuckled a bit at "check the connections", but sure as **** one was loose on the 90 amp fuse. Now the new starter turns the motor like a champ. However, it still will not start. it looks like i'm getting fuel into the top, I think I'm missing the spark. I have checked the big circuit breaker and the smaller fuses both on the engine and on the circuit pannel.

I had a mechanic take a look at it and he seems to think it's a flywheel problem and wants to pull the whole motor. I don't get how it can be a flywheel problem when the motor turns properly and doesn't miss.

Is there anything else that will kill the spark? A kill switch, or sensor? The outdrive monitor is full of lube and the kill switch on the throttle is on "run".

What now?