1984 Sea Ray 120 mercrusier sprotic misfire. HELP!!!

Chance12

Cadet
Hi,
I tried everything!!! Rebuilt the carb, new fuel filters, fuel line, cleaned tank, non-ethanol fuel, points, condenser, coil, plugs. It runs perfect for a while. 30-45 mins. then out of nowhere it will start breaking up at higher RPMS and at the same time if you run any extra electrical load on the engine like( trim motor, blower, ect) it gets worse and almost wants to stall.
Please help if you have any ideas where to look.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1984 Sea Ray 120 mercrusier sprotic misfire. HELP!!!

Sounds like an electrical issue. Chech your connections from the battery including the grounds. They all need to be clean and tight. While checking look for corrision inside the crimped connectors.

Chance12

Cadet

Ok, Where are these crimped connectors?

alldodge

Staff member

Ok, Where are these crimped connectors?

Crimped connectors are any connection which is crimped using a crimpping tool, such as many of the battery to engine connectors. Some manufactures solder connections others crimp the lug onto the wire. They come in small and large sizes. Electrical issues are hard to find. You may look at a wire and it looks great, then you pull on it and it comes apart

Volphin

Lieutenant

Sounds like the coil is breaking down as it gets hot. Check and clean the electrical connections on the coil, and her grounds then retest. Also measure the coil for 12v in while it is missing. If it's less, then the problem is electrical. If voltage is OK, the coil is shot, and can be confirmed by testing it with a multimeter.

Chance12

Cadet

Crimped connectors are any connection which is crimped using a crimpping tool, such as many of the battery to engine connectors. Some manufactures solder connections others crimp the lug onto the wire. They come in small and large sizes. Electrical issues are hard to find. You may look at a wire and it looks great, then you pull on it and it comes apart

I found a little corrosion in the ground by the starter. Checked all the conections that I could find. Hopefully I found it.

Chance12

Cadet

Sounds like the coil is breaking down as it gets hot. Check and clean the electrical connections on the coil, and her grounds then retest. Also measure the coil for 12v in while it is missing. If it's less, then the problem is electrical. If voltage is OK, the coil is shot, and can be confirmed by testing it with a multimeter.

I have tried two different coils. One orignal and one new Napa coil. 12volts at the coil when is runs rough. It will idle-2000 rpms perfect while it breaks up in higher rpms.

thumpar

Admiral

What ignition do you have? If it is still point and condenser with standard coil you should only have around 7-9 volts at the coil.

Chance12

Cadet

What ignition do you have? If it is still point and condenser with standard coil you should only have around 7-9 volts at the coil.

Yeah I should have been more clear. It does only have 8.5 volts while running. I put a jumper wire from the battery to the coil for a second to see if it would clear up....it didn't.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

is the alternator charging properly??

heavy_breeze

Cadet

Bushings in your distributor could be loose, or your timing belt is shot. Is your distributor bolt to engine not secured properly? Sounds like distributor/timing issue.

thumpar

Admiral

There is no timing belt just gears. Those don't usually cause any issues for the life of the engine.

alldodge

Staff member

It runs perfect for a while. 30-45 mins. then out of nowhere it will start breaking up at higher RPMS and at the same time if you run any extra electrical load on the engine like( trim motor, blower, ect) it gets worse and almost wants to stall.
Thanks

Still belive it is an electrical issue, I think the getting at running temp is just happens because it takes that long to show up. Did you ever restart the engine after this started happening? If so did it crank slower then normal and what shape is the battery in?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Check your fuel tank vent, it may be plugged (creating a vacuum when you draw the fuel down) and reduce the amount of gas you can deliver to the engine. If it happens again try removing the gas cap and putting it back on, see if that helps.

alldodge

Staff member

Check your fuel tank vent, it may be plugged (creating a vacuum when you draw the fuel down) and reduce the amount of gas you can deliver to the engine. If it happens again try removing the gas cap and putting it back on, see if that helps.

Stonyloam - that sounds like a real good possability. Had a stand alone generator which did the same thing and about drove me nuts until I accidently found it.

Chance12

Cadet

I have tried that and no difference. also when I fill the boat some gas will shoot out of the vent when the tank is full.