'98 Crownline 5.0 Mercruiser 305

jmurray7543

Recruit
I have a '98 Crownline with a carbureted Mercruiser 305. It's sat for a few years, and hasn't been taken out. I was recently given it, and was told that it ran a few months ago. When I tried to start it recently, the engine wouldn't turn over. When spraying quick start in the carburetor, it would crank and run for a few seconds-a minute at its longest. I was told to try replacing the fuel filter, did that, but still won't crank. Was next told to try replacing fuel pump. Any advice on how to replace the fuel pump, or any other suggestions for what to do? Trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic because I'm planning on selling it and would rather not put much money in it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: '98 Crownline 5.0 Mercruiser 305

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Who is telling you these things . . . ???

Anyway -> sat for a few years = gummed up fuel system. Leave the fuel pump alone for now. See if you can take that carburetor off and give it a good cleaning through the bowl and venturi's, etc. Then put it all back together. Connect the fuel pump to a remote tank with a strong mixture of gasoline and fuel system cleaner (maybe 2-3 X the normal dosage). Then see if you can get the engine to run by itself.

Once you get it running change the oil and run it again.

How much fuel do you have in the tank? Probably going to need to off load and dispose of it, if it is too old.

jmurray7543

Recruit

Thank you for the advice. What is the best way to set up a system to run the fuel pump independently?

jmurray7543

Recruit

Just disconnect the pump from the fuel tank, and use a separate tank?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Pull the hose off coming from tank to fuel pump......Get a new hose, hook to suction side of fuel pump and other end in a gas can of fresh fuel mix as Ted said.

I would also clean the carb and replace all fuel filters as Ted said.

Good luck!