water separator on Mercruiser 4.3

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, been having some starting issues, even after having the plugs, cap, and rotor changed, AND after been running a while. A boat mechanic tells me on the phone it may be the fuel/water separator getting clogged up...
Can anyone tell me exactly where this part is on my motor, and how hard it would be to change? My motor's serial number is: 0D850955 (My outdrive serial number is: 0F033851 if that helps any).
Thanks for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water separator on Mercruiser 4.3

You have a 92 model and it didn't have a water separating fuel filter that year. Only an inline filter (item 12 below).

Fuel filter.jpg

In 93 an newer, they used a water separating fuel filter, after seeing the error in their ways.
They do have a kit with steel line, fittings, brackets etc. to replace the original.

Fuel filter kit.jpg

Here is one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-807172A-...ILTER-KIT-FOR-V-6-4-3-LITRE-NEW-/200821026217

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S, thanks so much for the reply! My boat is a '93 Glastron SSV 195 Elite, so it kinda sucks that I still have a '92 motor.:-(
How hard would it be to retrofit that kit?
Thanks again!

Bondo

Staff member

Don S, thanks so much for the reply! My boat is a '93 Glastron SSV 195 Elite, so it kinda sucks that I still have a '92 motor.:-(
How hard would it be to retrofit that kit?
Thanks again!

Ayuh,... Ya just mount the housin', 'n run the fuel lines,... Not hard at all...

Fixerup

Cadet

Not to highjack but I just got my fuel water kit from NAPA, but on the back it says not for 92 4.3 alpha one gen 2. Can I just remove inline filter and install the kit? Thanks

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so the boat ran great a few times, but tried to crank it on the ear muffs (I always crank it at home and let it run for 10-15 minutes before towing it to the lake nowadays) last Thursday, and no go. I thought maybe I'd try replacing the fuel filter (not sure how well I would do trying to retrofit the fuel/water seperator kit), but can't find the part. Can anyone point me to a source for this part? Would one for automotive use work (i.e., Autozone)? Thanks!

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: Turned out to be the hose going to fuel pump!

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 91 glastron.Just added a water separator.I screwed it to the side of the engine compartment.10 min job.Cut the rubber hose coming off the fuel pump.Go to Auto Zone buy a 2' 3/8 rubber fuel line and some hose clamps.Mount the separator,run lines and hose clamps...done