Pre-Alpha drive bellows (help)

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All. I have the SELOC manual and have followed it. So far getting the new drive bellows on has been elusive. The Drive, Exhaust and Shift bellows are installed on the gimbal side OK; the bell housing side has been a bear. Drive Bellows: What happens is when pulling the bellows over the hub, the large clamp pops off and sits ahead of the bellows on the hub itself. If I tighten the clamp slightly to keep it on the bellows, it is too tight to slide it over the hub. After multiple attempts, I have run out of the adhesive and have ordered another tube.

Is there a step I am missing here? Are there any tutorials or videos that might help?

Thanks (again)
998cc

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Pre-Alpha drive bellows (help)

SELOC?????:facepalm: Sorry to hear that. (Seriously....do a quick search on SELOC and CLYMER in this forum and you will see what I mean.... you can get the "right" manual that you need here and it will give you the missing steps.) Also seriously.... I am sure you will get the help you need in here. There are certain ways of doing what you are trying to do that the grey-beards on here will explain and get you going in the right direction. Patience.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've done quite a few belllows replacements... I find it easier to put the bellows on the bell-housing first (as per the book), then put adhesive on the gimbal housing, offer up the bellows and bell-housing, and working with your hand inside the bellows, push the bellows over the lip on the gimbal housing... Push the bell-housing as far forward as possible (to ensure the bellows is fully seated), then using a 5/16" socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet on a couple of long extensions, tighten up the clamp (I NEVER use a screwdriver. Too much risk of slipping off and puncturing the new bellows :facepalm:).... Never had a problem... One 'hint'... Set the clamps up the way it shows in the manual! (I guess you'll need to get a manual for that. That seloc is good as a comfortable knee-pad, and not much else. Post the drive serial number ('pre-Alpha' covers no less than 16 different drives) and I'll see what I can do about a manual for you, a proper one...)

Chris.....

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris, Kt, thanks for the replies. I really would like to know the proper model designation for my drive as well; I know "pre-alpha" is improper as per reading other posts. The serial number is 3392031, and it is from 1972. The hubs and bellows are the ones without the mating grooves. If you need photos, let me know.

A proper manual would help tremendously!! If I have to take the bellows off the gimbal and start out on the bellhousing, that's ok.

After the bellows are done, I will almost be ready to drop the 250 L6 back in. So close!

Thanks; the info is greatly appreciated!

998cc

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!! Downloading now..