Starting/charging issue?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok we'll I've been trying to track down a starting issue with my boat that is intermittent. What happens sporadically is when I turn the key, the starter will cycle, for a split second, pause for a second then begin starting the motor. Almost sounds like a weak battery. However, my battery is fully charged and fairly new. I DO have the wing nuts on the terminals, and what seemed to help is tightening them down with pliers. My question is could my problem be in the contact surface being to small using those small wing nut style terminals? Could I switch to the normal automotive loop style connectors? I have checked both ground and power cables
At both ends and cleaned them. The boat always starts, but it is always in the back of my mind of getting stranded. It seems to me those spade/wing nut terminals provide a rather small contact surface. OR do y'all think I should try using a regular nut to tighten the connectors down?

Mikejr

Seaman
Re: Starting/charging issue?

When you say you checked and cleaned the cables at both ends, have you also done so on the starter?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, pulled all starter cables off checked/wire brushed all of them. Most of them looked pretty clean too I guess from being under the covers?

alldodge

Staff member

Weak connection on the key switch, relay or solenoid maybe?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would those things like the switch/relay cause weak start? I figured those would be more of a no start/intermittent no start issue?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

However, my battery is fully charged and fairly new. I DO have the wing nuts on the terminals, and what seemed to help is tightening them down with pliers.

wingnut.jpg

Throw the wingnuts away, get some regular nuts and tighten them with a wrench and see if things work.

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, I was just waiting for that picture!!😄 But I guess I'll take the pros advice (something I need to get better at) and go get some standard nuts. From what I've seen it looks as though I need 5/16?? Nyloc or non nyloc, and should I use a washer?

Don, I was just waiting for that picture!!�� But I guess I'll take the pros advice (something I need to get better at) and go get some standard nuts. From what I've seen it looks as though I need 5/16?? Nyloc or non nyloc, and should I use a washer?

washers are to stop the nut digging into the cable lug and turning it with the nut so yes there should be a washer between the nut and the cable lug

alldodge

Staff member

the starter will cycle, for a split second, pause for a second then begin starting the motor. Almost sounds like a weak battery.

Would those things like the switch/relay cause weak start? I figured those would be more of a no start/intermittent no start issue?

My thought was there may be a intermittent or delay in the mix from your post, if this is not the case then Don has the best possiable answer