Water in my outdrive?

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What started out as a simple change the impeller, to change the waterpump to have to replace the upper shaft lower seal to putting this on with the shoe running backwards has finally come to the last possible thing going wrong. Now I have done water pumps 100's, not On Merc, now that I have taken it apart so many times, I get it.

But....ran the boat last night. She ran like a dream as always.

1989 Alpha I, MRC 350.

Notice the black in the pics. I know you get a mild shake with motor oil, not sure about gear oil.

Thanks for all of your help. I really want to be the water. I am afraid I am going to have to break down and send this do the dealer as there are so many places I couldhave goofed this up.oil.jpgoil2.jpg:facepalm:

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in my outdrive?

Looks ok in the pics ,it would look like Carmel if water where in it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Yeah,looks like the oil you drained previously was awful black,It will mix with the new oil and make it blackish also. If it was mine,I would make shure it is full,take her for a good run and drain,check for water and if ok,pressure check,re-fill with new.If ya want to see what gearlube looks like with water in it,mix some up in a jar.It'll be obvious what it looks like.
grub

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Didn't see any mention of results of pressure test before filling with oil and taking for a spin. Just gives you the nice "peace of mind" feeling before splash.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm. Pressure testing. Good call. Thanks everyone!

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, just realized...I don't have the directions on how to do this. Anyone?....Anyome?.....Bueller....

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I have a vacuum pump. I have read both threads. I guess I need it explained or validated for dummies.

1. Remove gear oil.
2. Replace one of the screws.
3. Attach vacuum line to other port.
4. Create X amount of vacuum.
5. Should stay stable for X amount of time.

?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

More important is the "pressure" test.... create your rig, hook up to the oil fill port (other port plug installed), Press up to about 15 PSIG, then lock it in and watch for pressure decay (over a period of time.... some go for half hour to an hour, some people watch the pressure overnight... I leave it for about an hour and watch for no pressure drop.... your test rig has to be tight, though... so soap-bubble check it, too)), and/or use a soapy-water solution in a spray bottel to spray the areas aroud the seals and look for bubbles. Others have also said they actually submerge the drive in a water bath to check for air bubbles.
Some controversy on the vacuum part of the test. Some seals on the drive wont withstand a lot of vacuum before you damage them, and they arent actually designed to work that direction. I have successfully done vacuum drop tests, but you have to keep the vacuum relatively low (like below 5 to 7 inches Hg max). Lots of guys just avoid the vacuum test with no problems as long as the pressure test is good.

I've also pressure tested each half separately, by putting a rubber "cork" (plug) in the oil passage port.

Hope this helps.