Mercruiser 5.7L - Spark Plugs confusion

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice
Dears,
I have big confusion with spark plugs for my engine 5.7L carb number OC602940.

Recently replaced with another long block (inl. heads), I was troubleshooting some problems with it and I decided to replace the spark plugs, I went to a shop and they missed the NGK BR6FS I had on it.
I took my phone and made a quick search for mercruiser 5.7 and found out this code: NGK BPR6EFS so I bought 8 of this.

I was surprised when I saw how different those BPR6EFS were by the BR6FS... BPR6EFS the long reach plug how can they be both ok for the same engine ? Am I going to make big damages to my motor if I use the BPR6EFS ?

Thank you !

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 5.7L - Spark Plugs confusion

Use BR6FS. Good catch.

Bifflefan

Commander

To answer your question of damaging the engine,
You can use a short plug in a long reach head, but not the other way around. The plug will probably hit the piston. A short reach will just not get far enough into the chamber and you will loose a bit of power.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... how can they be both ok for the same engine ? ....

They're not. The BR6FS is for non-votec heads, the BPR6EFS is for votec heads.

Chris....

Rutto

Seaman Apprentice

They're not. The BR6FS is for non-votec heads, the BPR6EFS is for votec heads.

Chris....

As I replaced the long block, including heads, how can I know if the new heads are vortec or non-vortec ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Measure the threads in the head, or just look at them. Are they short or long like the plugs.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As I replaced the long block, including heads, how can I know if the new heads are vortec or non-vortec ?

How many bolts holding the intake to the heads? 12 is non-vortec, 8 is vortec...
Also the Vortec bolts are vertical, non-vortec bolts are at an angle (more vertical to the heads surface)