adjusting trim it started smoking

ninjamatt

Seaman Apprentice
so yesterday I was cruising around about 40mph, concord mach1, and I was in choppy water trying to play with the trim. I tried bringing it up and left my thumb on the button, maybe a few seconds long and something started burning. A few moments after I released it, it stopped. It's possible I had it all the way up and kept trying to pull it up but I'm not sure. Any advice

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: adjusting trim it started smoking

What is this trimmed hooked to? Engine/outdrive or outboard is what is needed. Year helps too.

ninjamatt

Seaman Apprentice

What is this trimmed hooked to? Engine/outdrive or outboard is what is needed. Year helps too.

it's an 89 concord with 4.3 i/o mercruiser

my dad said it was maybe the belt??

Don S

it's an 89 concord with 4.3 i/o mercruiser

my dad said it was maybe the belt??

Going to move this over to the Mercruiser forum.

What was smoking? Nothing in the trim system is belt driven.

Post a picture of where the smoke came from.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Please Read This Before Posting A Question... How to Ask a Question....

If it was trimmed all the way UP, you'd know! If it stopped on the limit switch, no more power gets to the pump motor.

Chris......

ninjamatt

Seaman Apprentice

Please Read This Before Posting A Question... How to Ask a Question....

If it was trimmed all the way UP, you'd know! If it stopped on the limit switch, no more power gets to the pump motor.

Chris......

I don't have a gauge that works for the trim. I think I had my thumb on it pulling up for too long. the water was so choppy I had no way to know the effect of it. Real windy

achris

I don't have a gauge that works for the trim. I think I had my thumb on it pulling up for too long. the water was so choppy I had no way to know the effect of it. Real windy

No, if it came UP all the way you would have stopped moving, there would have been a water spout behind you and the sound would have been completely different... As I said, you'd have known....

Don S

You still haven't answered what was smoking. That alone could point out where the problem is.

ninjamatt

Seaman Apprentice

You still haven't answered what was smoking. That alone could point out where the problem is.

I don't know what was smoking. it was coming from the back of the boat around the outdrive. if i knew what was smoking i probably wouldn't be asking

Don S

I must be of a different breed of people, but if I have something smoking in the back of my boat I am there immediately to see what the problem is and what I might have to do. Like a fire extinquisher or ?????

But I guess you figure that if there is smoke on the back of the boat, just ask a forum in hopes they have super human abilities and can see what it was from their keyboard.

achris

Hey Don, your crystal ball in for its 10,000 guess service too?

Yeah, I'm the same. I see smoke, I run away... :D :D :D :D :facepalm:

Chris.....

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

, just ask a forum in hopes they have super human abilities and can see what it was from their keyboard.

Well Don, if you indeed have Superhuman abilities, maybe you should start thinking about your new and unique logo on the cape that all Superhumans wear. Just sayin....... :) :)