Steering Trouble

rinker180

Recruit
I just replaces the steering cable and rack on my 1996 rinker 180 with a merccruiser 3.0. The steering was terribly hard to turn before i replaces these things. Now that they are new the steering works but i can feel a clicking in the steering wheel when i turn it. I was just wondering if anyone could help with this problem. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Steering Trouble

If you installed and greesed the cable correctly this is normal. I replaced the cable and all on my cruiser a few years ago, and noticed the same thing. After a few seasons the cable becomes adjusted to the bend and eases up a bit. Should be no problem.

rinker180

Recruit

Thanks for the reply..I think the problem was in the helm..it was a old detmar cable and helm and the new teleflex cable didn't fit in the old helm exactly right so i have a new teleflex helm on the way.

alldodge

Staff member

You still may get some initial noise with the new helm. I replaced my helm with the new cable because Formula tech support gave me the wrong part number for the cable. So I then bought the new helm. Formula did say they were sorry and that help a whole bunch (grimblings in the back ground). Have a good one.