harmonic balancer for 5.7 whats the difference between the 6 3/4 and 8 inch

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello. i noticed the mercruiuser and gm v8 carburated engines use 2 different harmonic balancers . i have a few engines 1985 mercruisers, and gm replacements for 1985. i noticed that the engine with the 6 3/4 balancer, had a smaller flywheel and the engine with 8 inch balancer had larger flywheel. my question is, is there a difference between these balancers? can the 2 different size balancers be swapped around with the 2 different flywheels? or will this hurt the balance of motor if smaller balancer is used with bigger flywheel. because everything fits. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: harmonic balancer for 5.7 whats the difference between the 6 3/4 and 8 inch

About an inch and a quarter...........

Use the right one.

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i thought this was a forum for technical information for people who are trying to learn something. and not immature and wise people doing third grade math. please dont reply unless you have some real information. your wasting peoples time just because you want a bunch of posts on your profile. because i didnt learn anything new from your response. i still have the same questions and looking for answers. you say, use the right one. do you know what that is? or are you just trying to get more posts on your profile. read the stickeys. please go to another forum or dont respond unless you are trying to provide real technical information to the questions. am i stupid or something for asking these questions? why do i deserve to be treated like this? is this forum for wasting time talking like a teenager, or is it to aquire info or find an answer to a problem with a boat? if you dont want to help, then please dont respond or i will report your posts. this has happened before

achris

More fish than mountain goat

About an inch and a quarter...........

That's what I was going to say... ;)

Like Don said.. Use the balancer Merc used on the Mercruiser engine...

Chris...

achris

i thought this was a forum for technical information for people who are trying to learn something. and not immature and wise people doing third grade math. please dont reply unless you have some real information. your wasting peoples time just because you want a bunch of posts on your profile. because i didnt learn anything new from your response. i still have the same questions and looking for answers. you say, use the right one. do you know what that is? or are you just trying to get more posts on your profile. read the stickeys. please go to another forum or dont respond unless you are trying to provide real technical information to the questions. am i stupid or something for asking these questions? why do i deserve to be treated like this? is this forum for wasting time talking like a teenager, or is it to aquire info or find an answer to a problem with a boat? if you dont want to help, then please dont respond or i will report your posts. this has happened before

Merc rarely publish why they do certain things. All we can do is to recommend you follow what they suggest...

BTW, if you can't see the humour in the answers provided.............

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for stating the obvious. I won't bother you again.

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry but i have tried to get info in the past and had same issue. i have seen both size balancers on merc motors. i purchased a new longblock and i just am trying to learn about the different size balancers and flywheels. the long block came with bigger flywheel but the timing cover only accepted the 6 3/4 balancer due to location of timing tab. so im trying to see if i should change the flywheel to smaller one, or change timing cover and go with the 8 inch that was with the bigger flywheel originally. either the marina that got me the longblock screwed up, or it doesnt matter what size goes on. i dont know. thats why im here looking for info on harmonic balancers and flywheels. im getting mixed info from people and im just trying to do it right.

achris

Let's start with an engine serial number. That way we can look up what should be there and let you know. As I said, Merc don't tell why they do things, they just do them. Sometimes people try it different ways... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... And most of the time those people don't post the results to forums.... which is my long way of saying, we don't always know, we just follow what Merc recommend (they are the provider of the engine after all)....

airshot

Rear Admiral

The gentleman that replied to your question are experts in the mercruiser field and did answer your question correctly..."use the correct one" is the right answer. One cannot expect a confirmation when an idea is not approved by the manufacturer. Many choose to swap parts and make their own engineering decisions, but on this site, run by professional people the only answer you will get is the correct one recomended by the maunfacturer. The way you worded your question opened yourself up for a bit of humor, take it for what it was, have a good laugh and enjoy life.

Airshot

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got stumped at balancer or flywheel. Which end are we looking at?

achris

I got stumped at balancer or flywheel. Which end are we looking at?

He's looking at both ends... :D :D :D

Read the first post again. He has a few engines, some with a small balancer and small flywheel, and some which have a large balancer and large flywheel. He questioning if he can 'Mix and match' them.

The 'balancer' is more a damper than a balancer. The rotating elements should already be balanced, the 'balancer' just damps out small vibrations.

OP... Your new engine has a front cover for the smaller balancer, I suggest you use that one, and the right flywheel would be the one that allows the starter motor gear to fully and correctly engage on the ring-gear....

Chris........

04fxdwgi

WOW......... Lighten up a bit....... Don has helped countless posters with very specific details on how to properly repair / maintain thier equipment with his vast knowledge of all things marine, provided the question is a logical and sound one PLUS they are open to advise, be it technical, or stating the obvious. (BTW, I don't believe Don is trying to "pump" the comment count (he certainly doesn't need to) and your comment was out of line.)

Let me see, engine re-builder installed engine front cover designed to use 6 3/4" harmonic ballancer. 6 3/4" harmonic ballancer readily available. Poster want's to understand differance between 6 3/4" ballancer (which the build is designed to accept) and 8" ballancer (which the build is not designed for).

If the new engine is externally ballanced and was indeed "ballanced" by the builder, then you should have been supplied with a complete "rotating assembly", which includes everything attached to the crankshaft. Find it odd that the builder supplied it w/ a flywheel and not the harmonic ballancer as part of the rotating assy. The BIG question is, what did the builder intend you to use as a ballancer. If in doubt, ask the builder. But I would say a 6 3/4" since that's the front cover that is installed.

The 6 3/4" ballancer (sometimes refered to as a 7"), is generally used for internally ballanced engines and the 8" is generally used on externally ballanced engines (such as the 400 CI). But there are also differences in the position of the timing mark on some ballancer / timing tab arrays. I would stick with what the front cover uses for a ballancer in conjunction with the provided timing tab. What ever you decide to go with, make sure you confirm indicated TDC is actually TDC on the cam / crank combo by using a degree wheel when it is all put together. If you don't confirm this crucial step, incorrect timing caused by an incorrect timing mark / timing tab configuration could turn it all into a fancy lawn planter.

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i will try to put my questions out there better. im just trying to understand what the differance is. and if i purchased a rebuilt gm longblock that has 6 3/4 timing tab, and the bad gm motor that im converting all parts from has 8 inch balancer with bigger flywheel. can i swap timing tab with 8 inch tab and use the bigger fly wheel and 8 inch balancer(from bad gm motor). if i go with 6 3/4, then i think i will need a different starter with the smaller flywheel. so it would be easier to use the 8 inch with bigger flywheel. both the new long block, and the old gm block that im replacing have the same # on top rear of block. the # is 3970010. i also have a 1985 mercruiser engine with 6 3/4 balancer and smaller flywheel but no starter and balancer is rotted. the serial# for that is #6862546

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

again im sorry but i have had some harsh replys in the past and i feel as im doing something wrong or asking retarded questions.

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i basically want to make sure i can swap out the timing tab that came with new longblock with the 8 inch tab and then everything else will fit from old motor. or should i get a 6 3/4 balancer and use smaller flywheel and buy another starter that will fit that flywheel. i dont know if the new starter i have will work on both flywheels. its for the bigger flywheel. or does none of this matter and the flywheels and balancers are interchangable. i keep getting mixed info from different mechanics and forums. a lot say it dont matter. and some say it does.

04fxdwgi

i basically want to make sure i can swap out the timing tab that came with new longblock with the 8 inch tab and then everything else will fit from old motor. or should i get a 6 3/4 balancer and use smaller flywheel and buy another starter that will fit that flywheel. i dont know if the new starter i have will work on both flywheels. its for the bigger flywheel. or does none of this matter and the flywheels and balancers are interchangable. i keep getting mixed info from different mechanics and forums. a lot say it dont matter. and some say it does.

Again, it depends. the 2 basic issues are :
1. Location and actual marking for the timing tab in relation to the timing mark on the harmonic ballancer (vibration damper).
2. The actual ballancing of the harmonic ballancer in relation to what is contained inside the block.

For those 2 reasons, no one on here can absolutely answer your question with any degree of certainty.

The 1st can easily be worked around when installing by using a degree wheel to be sure everything is as it should be.

The second is the most critical. GM used a large variety of ballancers for the way the engines were ballanced. Internally or externally ballanced configuration, forged or cast crank, small or large beam rods, flat dome or relief cut pistons. Sooooo many variables. That is why I suggested going to the builder to find out, especially since the builder seems to have placed a flywheel on there (large one) that doesn't seem to jive with the small ballancer front cover. Only he will know why and how the engine is ballanced. The specific type of crankshaft / rods / piston assy dictates the type of ballancer / flywheel combination that needs to be used to ensure proper engine ballance. After a rebuild, the info garnered from the SN: may or may not apply any longer, depending on what the builder did.

I believe this is critical on marine engines, as they tend to spend most of thier lives in RPM ranges that automotive engines don't see very often. If it was me, I would have the entire rotating assy, consisting of the crank (with the timing gear on it) / rods (with bearings) / pistons (with rings) / flywheel and harmonic ballancer, all ballanced as an assy to ensure it is correct. You NEVER know what was replaced or substituded during a build. Builder could have thrown in a set of pistons or a re-built / recut and polished crank, not checking the ballance AND they could be for an engine with a different ballance scheme. They all bolt in the same but have different characteristics. Not saying he did, but have seen it before.

Have seen way too much wierd stuff done when I was building pro racing stuff for customers in the 70's and the years following. I don't take anyone's claims of everything "being correct" when doing a build.

04fxdwgi

i will try to put my questions out there better. im just trying to understand what the differance is. and if i purchased a rebuilt gm longblock that has 6 3/4 timing tab, and the bad gm motor that im converting all parts from has 8 inch balancer with bigger flywheel. can i swap timing tab with 8 inch tab and use the bigger fly wheel and 8 inch balancer(from bad gm motor). if i go with 6 3/4, then i think i will need a different starter with the smaller flywheel. so it would be easier to use the 8 inch with bigger flywheel. both the new long block, and the old gm block that im replacing have the same # on top rear of block. the # is 3970010. i also have a 1985 mercruiser engine with 6 3/4 balancer and smaller flywheel but no starter and balancer is rotted. the serial# for that is #6862546

Ballancer could have swapped a forged crank with a cast crank. You never know when someone else does it. That could change the whole playing field.