will new manifold kit work with my 1985 y pipe? im getting mixed information.

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello. i have a 1985 formula 25pc with mercruiser 5.7. i recently purchased a new oem merc manifold kit. but the risers on new set are different(4 inch), and my old risers where 3 inch. someone told me the new risers i have where 1987 and newer. my question is, will this new kit fit on my 1985 y pipe set up if i swap the (3 to 4 inch) boots with( 4 to 4 inch) boots? or should i start trying to return these risers? someone else told me that the old ones i need are discontinued and these will work. but i am hoping to get some information that is solid. thanks

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: will new manifold kit work with my 1985 y pipe? im getting mixed information.

hello. i have a 1985 formula 25pc with mercruiser 5.7. i recently purchased a new oem merc manifold kit. but the risers on new set are different(4 inch), and my old risers where 3 inch. someone told me the new risers i have where 1987 and newer. my question is, will this new kit fit on my 1985 y pipe set up if i swap the (3 to 4 inch) boots with( 4 to 4 inch) boots? or should i start trying to return these risers? someone else told me that the old ones i need are discontinued and these will work. but i am hoping to get some information that is solid. thanks

If they are positioned correctly with the elbow pieces and over the "Y" pipe, the 4"-4" boots should work just fine. It all depends on the physical placement and alignment. Makes no matter if it's 3" or 4", mechanically, and boots / elbows are made for both.

I see no problems at all going from 3" riser discharge to a larger 4" riser. I just wouldn't go from a 4" down to a 3" if system was an origionally designed for 4".

potatoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: will new manifold kit work with my 1985 y pipe? im getting mixed information.

thanks a lot for the info. i will give it a try