3.0 liter In-line 4 Carb cleaner ?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a 1987 Imperial 19.6 cuddy with 3.0 Mercruiser engine, recently took 3 blade Solas off in favor of 4 blade, HUGE difference in getting on plane,, 4500 WOT,, no problems,, only problem I had was flooding the darn thing at first start up.. My last outing found myself flooding it and sitting for 10 minutes,,got her going and ran perfect rest of day, each subsequent start up, fired over quick and clean. I probably pumped it to much and was my fault,, Is there anything I can do adjustment wise or carb cleaner to address this problem.. is there an electric choke in that engine at start up and no need to pump it? thanks for input all! js

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3.0 liter In-line 4 Carb cleaner ?

You have the coil choke? If the choke is working properly then the cold starting procedure is to push the throttle only button, pump 3 or 4 times, then set set throttle at 1/4 and it should start every time. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you using the throttle only button when starting it so you can keep the throttle up?

Bondo

Staff member

I've got a 1987 Imperial 19.6 cuddy with 3.0 Mercruiser engine, recently took 3 blade Solas off in favor of 4 blade, HUGE difference in getting on plane,, 4500 WOT,, no problems,, only problem I had was flooding the darn thing at first start up.. My last outing found myself flooding it and sitting for 10 minutes,,got her going and ran perfect rest of day, each subsequent start up, fired over quick and clean. I probably pumped it to much and was my fault,, Is there anything I can do adjustment wise or carb cleaner to address this problem.. is there an electric choke in that engine at start up and no need to pump it? thanks for input all! js

Ayuh,.... Sounds like ya need Operator Education, rather than carb adjustments,...

Ya gotta pump the throttle at least once to set the choke, then it's automatic after that, if it's workin' correctly,...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

"Are you using the throttle only button when starting it so you can keep the throttle up? "

Un-educated in this matter clearly I am,, what's a throttle only button and where is that located? The trottle lever has a button underneath the handle to engage the drive, I am also aware the throttle may be pulled out latterally so gear engagement does not occur. if one of those is not the throttle only button, kindly tell me where it is...?

as to "Ya gotta pump the throttle at least once to set the choke, then it's automatic after that, if it's workin' correctly,..."

does that mean at every start up? or does the choke set have a memory relating to the last time it was pumped?

thanks all!!

Don S

In the center of the throttle control handle is a button. From neutral, push it in and push the throttle lever forward. You are now out of gear and able to start the engine in neutral at any throttle position. When you bring the throttle lever completely back to neutral again it will engage the shifter. So only pull it back enough to idle the engine after it warms up.

Don S

Here is a copy and paste from a newer owners manual.

Starting And Stopping The Engine

NOTE: Only perform those functions applicable to your power package.
1. Check all items listed in Operation Chart.
2. Place the remote control handle in NEUTRAL.

CAUTION
Overheating from insufficient cooling water will cause engine and drive system
damage. Ensure that there is sufficient water always available at water inlet holes
during operation.

WARNING
Explosive gasoline fumes collect in the engine compartment. Avoid injury or
property damage, operate the bilge blower for at least five minutes prior to starting
the engine. If the boat is not equipped with a bilge blower, open the engine hatch
and leave it open while starting the engine.

3. Push THROTTLE ONLY button and position throttle setting as follows:
a. COLD ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to full throttle, then return to about 1/4
throttle. In extreme cold it may be necessary to pump lever more than once.
b. WARM ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to 1/4 throttle position.
c. FLOODED ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to full throttle. Be prepared to
decrease engine speed to 1000-1500 RPM as soon as engine starts.
IMPORTANT: Do not operate starter motor continuously for more than 30 seconds.
4. Turn ignition key to START. Release key when engine starts and allow switch to return
to ON position.

5. Operate engine for 1 or 2 minutes at fast IDLE (1000-1500 rpm) or until engine temperature
reaches 140-160 degrees F (60-71 degrees C).
6. Inspect the power package for fuel, oil, water and exhaust leaks.
7. To shift into gear, move control handle with a firm, quick motion forward to shift to FORWARD
gear, or backward to shift to REVERSE. After shifting drive unit, advance throttle
to desired setting.
8. Move the remote control handle to NEUTRAL/IDLE and allow the engine to slow to IDLE
speed. If engine has been operated at high speed for a long period of time, allow the
engine to cool at IDLE speed for 3 to 5 minutes.
9. Turn ignition key to the OFF position.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

that would be the button under the throttle handle? hence when you take hold of the throttle ones fingertips can reach them?

Don S

that would be the button under the throttle handle? hence when you take hold of the throttle ones fingertips can reach them?

Post a picture of your control, hard to tell what you have or even if it's a Merc control. The boat manufacturer may have wanted to use something else.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Looked at my manual in PDF,, its a 1987 boat.. I see the button is not in the handle but down the throttle shaft to the center,,, will check it out tomorrow on the boat,, looked there before and dont remember seeing a button,, then why can the throttle control be pulled out away and out of gear?,, what's the purpose for that? if not to be used when starting the engine..?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

throttle 001.jpg here's the throttle,,, no button,, i was told the throttle is pulled out horizontally just a spec,, that takes it out of gear,, that's what ive done,,, then pushing in the button under finger grip puts it in gear,, i probably pumped it to much and flooded it,,,only been out twice with this boat since I bought it,,,,will try to start it without pumping next time,,,

Don S

Looked at my manual in PDF,, its a 1987 boat.. I see the button is not in the handle but down the throttle shaft to the center,,, will check it out tomorrow on the boat,, looked there before and dont remember seeing a button,, then why can the throttle control be pulled out away and out of gear?,, what's the purpose for that? if not to be used when starting the engine..?

We don't have your owners manual nor can we see it.

Post a picture of your control, that's all you need to do. It's really easy if you have a digital camera.

Or do an image search for Mercruiser controls and see if you can find a picture of one.

Also, when I said center of the handle, it meant at the pivot point, not mid point between the top and bottom of the handle.

Don S

That is a Teleflex control, not Merc. And yes you grab the bottom of the handle and pull it out for neutral only, instead of using a button like Merc does.

That is why pictures are necessary, especially with old boats. You just never know if the control is OEM or not.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

thanks,,at least I now know Im starting it correctly,,,will not pump it unless completely necessary,,waiting for a flooded engine to start is a drag,, I will fingure it out,, thanks again

airshot

Rear Admiral

I have the same engine, if i give three or more pumps I have a flooded carb, I can only use two pumps if cold and only one pump if the weather is really warm. You might try less pumps and see what happens.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It may be sometimes hard to describe: Pulling the bottom round part of the throttle lever out is like pulling toward your passenger - horizontal like...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

thanks airshot,,im sure I pumped it to much and it was not cold out,, will turn it over with no pumps,,,if nothing, one pump should do,, then will let it run and get good and warm,,,,once its warm and Im good for rest of day

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

And the fix was...professional carb cleaning. Runs great now