Help! is there a car year/model I can map to my Mercruiser 233 (ford 351w)

Status
Not open for further replies.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been posting a few requests for help and I been getting great help, through PM's or replies, so I thought I might ask here for some more help.

Basically, I have a Mercruiser 233 (ford 351w) block, and I been stripping it down looking for problems that I had run into. and I am getting ready to rebuild it.

I have the gasket kit coming, and it was fairly easy to match the kit to the mercruiser engine, seems many people have done that.

But , I broke a ring, and I am thinking of replacing the crankshaft bearings. (all through the help of a really good friend who is a mechanic (not marine).

But it would be much easier for us to order the parts through his shop, if I could say "its a Ford 75, ..."

I know the engine block is used in almost everything Ford ever made (or so it would seem) but there are subtle differences even in the heads that Ford used.

Can anyone help me the closest match possible? make, model, year of this wonderful project I have on the go?

please and thanks.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Help! is there a car year/model I can map to my Mercruiser 233 (ford 351w)

Aside from the crank and front/rear seals, a 351w is a 351w as far as internals are concerned. Now if you have a pre-1971 block for some reason, then you'd run into issues due to a different deck height, but it's highly unlikely your block is that old. In the 80's they switched to a 1-piece rear main seal (like most other manufacturers), so unless this isn't the original '75-'77 351w engine you won't have to worry about that. Just rebuilt the heads that are on it. There's not much benefit to going to different heads unless you want to find a set of GT40 heads off of a later model 351w. The compression is the same for most of the post-75 heads (around 8:1 or so), so they are mostly interchangeable. You can look at the casting number under the valve covers to find out which heads you have.

If you really want a decent book to guide you with, there is a book called How to Rebuild the Small Block Ford. Most big book stores carry it, and it provides you with most of the specs for different years/castings. It's only $20 and may answer a lot of your questions.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help! is there a car year/model I can map to my Mercruiser 233 (ford 351w)

I have been posting a few requests for help and I been getting great help, through PM's or replies, so I thought I might ask here for some more help.

Basically, I have a Mercruiser 233 (ford 351w) block, and I been stripping it down looking for problems that I had run into. and I am getting ready to rebuild it.

I have the gasket kit coming, and it was fairly easy to match the kit to the mercruiser engine, seems many people have done that.

But , I broke a ring, and I am thinking of replacing the crankshaft bearings. (all through the help of a really good friend who is a mechanic (not marine).

But it would be much easier for us to order the parts through his shop, if I could say "its a Ford 75, ..."

I know the engine block is used in almost everything Ford ever made (or so it would seem) but there are subtle differences even in the heads that Ford used.

Can anyone help me the closest match possible? make, model, year of this wonderful project I have on the go?

please and thanks.

Ayuh,.... ID the Vintage of the block by it's numbers,...

Whatever 351 Ford was puttin' in their pickup trucks that year is as close as you'll get...

TermytQQ

Cadet

please and thanks.
Personally, I would have gone to the local Pick N Pull and scored a late model roller 351 out of a unmolested van! but that me...

Fun Times

Staff member
Personally, I would have gone to the local Pick N Pull and scored a late model roller 351 out of a unmolested van! but that me...
Hi there TermytQQ, welcome to iboats!:)

We'd like to thank you for helping out with questions but please keep an eye on the dates of the topics as it is the whishes of iboats hosts that any topic older than 90 days stay in the archives unless you are the original posted of the topic.

Please see the "Help Tip" at the top of any engine technical sub-forum for further details about bringing up old topics.

Thank you, iboats moderation team

haulnazz15

Captain

The roller-equipped block would be pretty much pointless/wasted for use in a boat. The flat-tappets work just fine for this purpose, as his max WOT rpms will be 3800 anyway. Side note: this is an old thread and I hope he fixed his problem by now.

Last edited:

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
76 Grand torino - what i used looking for some part numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.